1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Troy bilt tiller jumping out of gear

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mcambrose, Nov 23, 2002.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Pony Troy Bilt tiller and when I engage the tiller with the wheels in gear (no free wheel) it wants to jump out of gear after a few seconds of operation. The Tiller part stays in gear, but not the drive wheels. Does this sound like a broken gear or something? Any ideas. I can put a bungee cord on the drive sheel lever to hold it down and it will stay in gear.

2. Sounds like a linkage adjustment.

3. mcambrose

on this unit there is just a handle you turn to put wheels into gear. I don't know what kind of adjustment there could be.

4. That was my best guess, the troy built I had was ancient and used linkages so I'm guessing blind on this one.
    But
    I suspect if a bungee will keep it in gear something is loose or out of adjustment and the problem is not a broken gear.
    I know a few have posted they have the same tiller, maybe
    they will be more help.

5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

could just be a detent ball or spring. take the shifter apart at the tranny and see.

6. mcambrose

does anyone know where to get a parts breakdown for the tranny. I'm not familiar with what I should find, so I might not be able to recognize what is wrong.