Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tru Green just screwed up whole lawn.. I spent $350 from spring.. just waste of money.. no improvement but its even worst now. I'm from O'Fallon,MO.
I have about 500 sq.ft lawn.. with full of weed, crabgrass, weed plants, bugs, dry patches and you name it.. etc., I decided to take of it myself unless there is lawn care service(in O'Fallon,MO) who would pay personal attention to my lawn.
Anyway what i'm suppose to do now..
1) I know i have to do soil test but who would that, Let me know
2) Do i have to do arearation now or you want me to wait couple of weeks.
3) For time being, Should i get some seed,fertilizers+ weed killers from Lowe's or Home. If so let me know any specific brand of seeders, fertilizer and weed killers i need use.

Completely depended on you guys, Please have me proceed in right direction.
I would appreciate your comments.
Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, for that amount of turf I would rent a sod cutter and get rid of the existing sod and replace it. You're only talking about a little bit more than one pallet of sod.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your response.

I might be wrong about 500 sq. ft. I don't know how much sq.ft it is.. i can't tell but lawn service guys said its a medium size lawn area.. now i dont know what's medium size lawn area would.

Also i don't know how to sod.. so is anybody who does or let me know what's the best way to deal with this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
As a former VP at Trugreen once said, "We are not a lawn care company, we are a marketing company who happens to do lawn care."

I imagine your lawn is 5,000 sq ft, as this would be medium for most suburbs.

I would look for a real lawn care company. If you are unable to find one, look for a local agriculture supply store. The stuff Lowes and Home Depot sells is crap. Buy some real 3-way for weed control and follow the label.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tru Green just screwed up whole lawn.. I spent $350 from spring.. just waste of money.. no improvement but its even worst now. I'm from O'Fallon,MO.
I have about 500 sq.ft lawn.. with full of weed, crabgrass, weed plants, bugs, dry patches and you name it.. etc., I decided to take of it myself unless there is lawn care service(in O'Fallon,MO) who would pay personal attention to my lawn.
Anyway what i'm suppose to do now..
1) I know i have to do soil test but who would that, Let me know
2) Do i have to do arearation now or you want me to wait couple of weeks.
3) For time being, Should i get some seed,fertilizers+ weed killers from Lowe's or Home. If so let me know any specific brand of seeders, fertilizer and weed killers i need use.

Completely depended on you guys, Please have me proceed in right direction.
I would appreciate your comments.
Thanks
I used Tru Green over the years, and finally dumped them about 4 years ago and switched to Dowco.
Dowco is 100 times better. They use pellet fertilizer, and actually do the whole yard.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
How about buying a spreader and doing it yourself? For a small yard 350 is plenty for fert and a spreader. Get out and get some exercise :)

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I have about 500 sq.ft lawn..
To give you some perspective on square footage, vitthala, a lawn that is a solid 11,000 square feet of turf (not including asphalt, buildings or anything), would be pretty durn close to a quarter of an acre.

( One acre is EXACTLY 43,560 sq ft)

I'll bet the ranch...you're dealing with something nearer to approx 1/8 of an acre (around 5000 sq ft...give or take).

A digital picture, or two, would be nice.
Maybe one close up, and a couple landscapes.
It's nice to see these so that maybe we can decipher what grass specie(s) you're dealing with, if you've got thatch issues, exactly what type of weeds you're fighting, and if maybe there's some active leftover disease still present, etc...

I will say this...even before any pics come over:
It'd be wise not to fall for any 'aeration & seeding' sales pitch from anyone!
Why?
Well...1st of all...although it is possible to establish some type of a "seed base" with an aerator, I'd say that around 95-98% of the professional folks out there who actually RUN them, wouldn't be thorough enough, or go over the lawn enough times, for it to be effective.

The original purpose for the machine called a 'core aerator', was to do things like relieve compaction, increase water percolation %, combat thatch buildup (in certain species only), and force the turf's root system to regenerate itself.
We can thank the Golf Industry for the development, and initial introduction of core aerators....WAYYYY back in the late '60s and early '70's.

My 1st boss in the Green Industry was a complete idiot most of the time....but here's 1 wise thing that came out of his mouth all the time...that has ALWAYS stuck in my head:

"Core aerating your grass is precisely like re-potting the roots all over your lawn, thousands and thousands of times." ( The man knew how to SELL!!!)

My point is:
Core aerators were meant to be, first and foremost, PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE machines.

From what you've described...you (likely) either need a slice-seeder, or, in the VERY worst case scenario, a sod-cutter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.