1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Truck advise....

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Kickin Your Grass, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I am trying to find pictures of Tj Justice (Justmowingit) truck set up. I am getting rid of my 16 foot trailer and 97 F-250 Gas gussler. I was looking to kinda have a set up like them. I have 2 Toro 21" and a Toro 44" ZTR. What would be a good truck for this. Ford Ranger, Toyota Tacoma?

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Dodge dakota maybe? How about just a 1500 pickup, either ford, chevy, or dodge wist a 6 cyl in it. JMO

3. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I havent decided if I want just a small 10' trailer or should I just get a truck with a custom bed.

4. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

Go with a trailer, you will definatly be more happy with it, alot more space

5. wherebluegrassgrows

wherebluegrassgrows LawnSite Member

Toyota once made a dually box truck. I've thought about using them instead of trailers. Good mileage and eliminate the need for a trailer.

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

getting a Z on the back of a PU is going to be hairy unless you get a dovetail, but then you kill a bunch of space too.

7. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

We love our trailors and couldn't live without them. As for a truck, if it were me and costs weren't the issue, I would take a gander at the Chevy 2500 HD with the Allison tranny. We leased one for a bit and loved it, but hated the payments.

8. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i have an s10 its great. dokota ranger also good to pull 10footers...even a 1/2 ton i know the new dakotas get like 15-city s10 get about 15-pullin...but i would deff go with a trailer and 5x10 6x10 would be perfect...i love what im runnin

9. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

how hilly is your area? i have a friend who has a 4 cyl ranger and pulls a 5x8 trailer with a jd 717a, 21" in the bed of the truck. it's no speed demon, but it does the job. another alternative would be an older f150 with a 300 straight 6.

10. Korey

Korey LawnSite Senior Member

You would definitely save a lot of gas with a Tacoma, especially the 2 wheel drive ones. They are low to the ground, so you shouldn't have a problem getting your equipment on. There are several companies that make custom beds for Tacomas- a guy I know has a flat bed on the back with a lot of surface area and would definitely be enough room for your equipment.