1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

truck and trailer colors?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CrystalCreek, Mar 20, 2008.

1. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, I have a red ford truck. I am buying a new dump truck, color unsure. I have a white enclosed trailer. I also have a red open deck trailer. Do I buy a new dump truck in red, and paint the trailer red, or do I just get a white dump. I really like the idea of everything matching. And I am not about to paint my superduty. Is it really that important or not. Also, white is a
    B$%&H to keep clean. Hate those dark black lines that won't wash off.

Give me some idaes. :usflag:

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i would just paint the trailer red, i have painted everything i bought green. take it to maaco they will do it for aroung $800

3. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Black and White are the toughest to keep clean, followed quickly by Red.

Why not just strip everything down to bare metal and have a flat primer applied?
    Seems to work for the high school kids in town. (HA!)

Seriously, I would try to match the trucks and paint the trailer.

4. CrystalCreek

after looking at the trailer, I was wondering if I could paint it myself. I have a spray gun set up. Almost everything can be unbolted. Would just need to cover the tires and roof and the door molding. If I used a scotch brite pad and some heavy cleaner, I don't see why it can't be done. I would use automotive paint and clear coat. What is everyone's idea's? Thanks in advance

5. P.Services

do you have a lot of experience painting? how long is the trailer ?

6. CrystalCreek

The trailer is 16 foot long 7 wide. My buddy is in the auto booth at the local ford dealer. He said he would help. Can even get the paint for 50 bucks or so. He owes me a fav, so time to pay up. I supprise him with a 30 pack or two after were done.:drinkup::drinkup: I'll post pics in a month or so when done.

7. P.Services

as long as you have your buddy to help it sounds like you guys now what your doing.i was going to paint my trailer my self but decided i didnt want all the runs down the sides. maaco did a great job and will get all of my trucks from now on.

8. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Quite the contrary. I have a 22ft red enclosed trailer that does not get washed often enough but unless I drive through mud it looks surprisingly clean after weeks on the road without a bath.

9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd take red over white. It will stand out among the predominately white landscape community.
    I'm making a similar choice between black (our original color) and burgundy. Any fleet will look nice with good matching paint and lots of chrome.