1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Box Hoist Kit

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Quality Lawn Care, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Quality Lawn Care

Quality Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have a 98 Chev. 2500 reg. cab long box that I use for clean-ups and snow plowing. After manually unloading debris from it this fall I decided it was time for a dump truck. I looked at a few and thought it would make doing cleans up easier, but harder to plow with and to control stuff from rolling around in the back of a dump box. So I started checking around and found a company that installs hoist kits under reg. p.u. boxes. For a H.D. 6000# hoist and new bumper it's $3000.00. This isn't a cheap "do it yourself" kit, the under side of the box gets reinforced. I'm thinking about doing this, what do think? I could build a leaf box on it and get a tailgate loader for and and a way I go. Has anyone ever seen this before?

2. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

I was going to do this to my F350 flatbed, before I sold it. I think it's the best of both worlds. You might check around though - a 12' flatbed was going to cost me $2500 with power up & down. I would think a pickup bed would be less expensive.

Randy

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen the kits for just under $900 in Northern tool. I would just install it myself, and reinforce as I saw fit. $3K sounds a little pricey for a pickup. :cool:

4. Mgardner

Mgardner LawnSite Member

I installed a Rugby hoist 2900 lb. on my Dodge W 250 for 1340.00including shipping, controls, everything you need exept the welding and know-how. It is nice ! and have used it four times this week with humongous loads of leaves on it .

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Quality, why not go with a dump insert for 2K?? This way you can switch it out to another truck should you ever need to.

6. Mgardner

Mgardner LawnSite Member

Here`s our Rugby.

dsc00336.jpg

7. Mgardner

Mgardner LawnSite Member

Another,

dsc00337.jpg

8. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't want to buy a dedicated dump, I would suggest a dump insert for your pickup box.

Although I have never used one of those kits to convert your stock bed into a dump, I don't feel that they are strong enough (at least not the $900 ones). The $3000 kit you are talking about seems kind of steep. Also, I have seen many kits and the bed doesn't seem to line up with the cab right, it sits up higher, it could be installed wrong though, I don't know.

I use a dump insert in my truck. This way, I can use it for cleanups, but take it out for plowing for better visibility. Plus, they are a lot stronger than the original bed. And, with the original bed, material will get caught on the wheel wells.

Just my opinion.

9. Mgardner

Mgardner LawnSite Member

I made a typo, The rugby we installed lifts 6000lbs. Three ton ,rather than 2900lbs. :D

10. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a 7 ton Rugby under a dump box on an F-450. It will lift over 7 tons of gravel without stalling, we did this at the pit once and dumped it off just to see if what it was made of.

I still like a PTO driven unit, but, the price was right and it works great.