Lawn Care Forum banner

Truck for fall clean-ups

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  cutbetterthanyou 
#1 ·
Like the title says I am in need of a truck for this fall. I don't care what manufacture, just as long as it is a 3/4 or 1 ton. But the reason I started this thread was to ask what you guys thought about this truck- I would only be using it for this fall (leaves and clean-ups) and then get rid of it in the spring or even during winter. Maybe keep it through the spring mulch rush to make scheduling easier (no waiting for deliveries). It is from a local landscaper (some of you around cary might know Tomasello's?) and looks to me like it has at least 3 months of life left in it if not more. How many of you beg to differ?

BTW he is asking $7800 but I would love to see this at $5000.. but who knows.
Also yes, I do realize it is an SRW but for fall debris I think it would be fine.

Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Hood

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part

See less See more
#2 ·
i to am looking for a similar truck but intend on keeping it for good. i think that truck is over priced at 7800 maybe at 5000 but only if the plow comes to. you may want to look at used 450 and 550 a lot of dealers have right now that are former trugreen trucks. they are going for around 10k but are a faaaaaar better truck.

#6 ·
yea even 5000 is way to much for that thing and i agree it looks like it has seen much better days and will probably kick the bucket within the next thousand miles or so if you do buy it work the heck out of it and get what you payed for it out of the thing.

#8 ·
i think if you can get it for $5000 and put a leaf box and colection system on it you will make your money back and some.change all the fluids ,make sure the brakes are good and run it.going into the winter i wouldnt saddle yourself with a new truck payment not unless your fully established.

#9 ·
i think its a nice looking truck. you havent told us how "bad" it is, mileage, problems etc. considering the v-plow and dump, id say its at least $6K truck if its up and running, no major problems. and for that price, its worth keeping for a spare or for mulch and leaves next year. how many miles will you put on it of a month in the spring and fall?? my f550 only gets about 6k miles a year on it.

#10 ·
mileage is 176K. This guy is the second owner, first owner was RA Adams which is a trailer/plow/dump body dealer close to me. The first people were the ones that put the stake bed on it and the plow. interior isnt too bad, but the latch for the glove box is missing... not a huge deal IMO. The only rust is on the fender where there is that chrome part that I can just replace pretty easily. Picasso, reason I don't take the $6K into a dealer is because I dont want a loan going into winter. I don't really get into plowing that much because of school and just would rather pay cash to have it done with. Spuercuts- I have put 7,000 miles on my dd in the last year. I don't drive a whole lot and this truck wouldnt be running all over the place. The tires would only roll when it is making $.

#11 ·
Just a thought, but for that kind of money and the fact that reliability is a issue, why not buy a dump trailer? Then while it sat you don't have to worry about insurance, bad gas, etc. Plus the dump trailer would be new and if you could afford to when you get your new truck you could keep it for a back up.

#13 ·
i use to think buying cheap used trucks was the way to go. i have learned my lesson and know otherwise. as soon as you start to work them they will start to break over and over and over again. i highley doubt that truck will make it long before the first big break.
i would try to find something newer and try your hardest to grow your biz and keep the truck working. even if you buy lets say a $12k f-550 put 4k down on it for a down payment and then finance the rest over 48 months and pay all your payments now until the spring. then your payment free all winter.

#14 ·
Picasso I definatley see your point, and would without a doubt do what your saying if I planned on keeping the truck for any longer amount of time. But right now I only need something for this fall and MAYBE (thats a stretch) will I keep it through next spring. Next spring I'm goin for a nicer used pickup and will probably put an insert or something in it for next fall, or who knows I might go for a newer dump then, I dont really know yet.

#15 ·
I have to agree with Picasso because of what happened to me. I bought a 94 misto off ebay "appeared" to be a clean truck used it 3 time tranny went out got it straight then a list of other things. Long story short i bought the truck 2 years ago for 6000 and as of this spring when i traded it in i had 13000 into it and got 4000 trade in so now i have a 2004 f 350 and a loan payment on a truck i don't own anymore. Never again:nono::hammerhead:

#16 ·
just be careful. i speak from experience. i bought my dodge for 3k think i got a deal and put over 16k into it the first year!! i could have bought a brand new truck for that. i bought my kodiak for 4k and put over 12k into it within a year. i could have bought a low mile used truck for that.

when they break you just kind of have to fix them to keep making money. be careful.

#17 ·
I would buy something new/new-er but I really really really want to pay cash for whatever I end up with. I think that my chances are good of this making me through fall. What I am going to do right now is probably buy this truck, then wait for my dealer to come up with a pick up for me and when he gets that I can sell this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.