1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Truck for work

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Drew Gemma, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

How many guys run diesels how many run gas. I am thinking of purchasing a 3/4 -1 ton diesel. I would use this to pull my mower trailer everyday then when i need to haul mulch I would hook it up to my dump trailer. Thus I could eliminate the need for a truck and a dump truck plus I would have a truck that could handle all of my needs work or play. Just a thought and probably a year away purchase since they run $40,000 new. Nice tax write off!

2. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both a diesel and a gas ford, the gasser is a true worktruck, and the diesel is a newer luxury truck, but it can be used as a work truck if needed

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I used a gas engine 1/2 ton truck for 8 years and it did good. Sometimes the breaking was bad, but handled all I did with it.
    This febuary, I bought a used dodge 2500 with the cummins. I got a good deal on the truck and a real nice trade in on my used 10 year old truck. I see the savings in fuel usage every week, I get double the mileage with the diesel. when pulling a trailer with a lazer 52 inch and a 48 inch, blowers, trimmers, gas, etc, you don't enen know it is back there. The handling of the 3/4 ton is amazing. The power of the mighty cummins is awesome. I am very happy with my purchase and plan on getting a new dodge/cummins in about 1 1/2 - 2 years when it is paid off.

4. Dig-it Landscaping

Dig-it Landscaping LawnSite Member

i use a cummins diesel 130,000 and not a singal problem. all i have replace are tires and filters and oil. it runs great has all the power i need to pull 14K. it also gets 18 mpg puling a dump and mowing trailer around town. gets 24mpg highway. i will never own another gas truck.

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a deduction and you still have to generate the revenue to pay for it.

6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I've used gas trucks at other companies and they were spending way too much in gas and it was alot of work for the trucks. I bought a 96 ford with a powerstroke and it has 240,000 miles and this is like retirement for the truck. Pulling my trailer or anything else that i do is like nothing for the truck and i still get about 16mpg towing. Hoping to get a chip to get a few more mpg

7. lawnmasters2004

lawnmasters2004 LawnSite Member

I run a f250 7.3L powerstroke and that is one hell of a truck... best thing ive ever driven would definetly recomend the truck to anyone who is lookin for a great diesel

8. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

A dodge diesel is the way to go. I've owned 2 powerstrokes prior to purchasing this 03 cummins 6 speed HO and I absolutely love this truck. Here lately that's all I have been buying from my wholesale friend is cummins and reselling them. It's crazy what people pay for 94-02 cummins especially the 96-98 12 valve 5 speeds.

9. niederhauser lawn care

niederhauser lawn care LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I have a Ford V-10 and a Ford Powerstroke. The V-10 gets about 7 mpg and the Diesel gets about 16 mpg with the trailor. The Diesel will out pull the V-10 hands down and it gets alot better mpg. Go with the Diesel