Truck Insurance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by firstclass1, Feb 12, 2005.

  1. firstclass1

    firstclass1 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 11

    Hello, Got a question i have 95 chevy Z-71 which i have "personal" auto insurance full coverage on it. I drive it daily plus for doing my landscaping business. The truck is fully letterd on the doors and tailgate. Do i need to get commercial auto insurance, now that i letterd the vechicle with my business name? If i get in a accident eill my personal auto insurance cover it ? Their is a big price differance when i called about the two. Any comments will be great.. Thanks :cool2:
  2. lawnman_scott

    lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,547

    Do you think you could get a better awnser from a bunch of lawnguys all over the country, or a local insurance company? I would call the agent, you will get more sound advise there.
  3. mmacsek

    mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 547

    To take the last post, lawnman scott, one step further check with different agents. The rates are different. State Farm charged alot more but I switched to Erie and the rates were less. It will be hard to get advice here because this is a local thing. Good luck. Matt
  4. PLM-1

    PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,640

    If you have an accident with a "for hire" truck your personal insurance will deny your claim. Commercial vehicle insurance is quite a bit more expensive. The DOT doesn't like "personal" trucks pulling/operating for "commercial" use. They see dollar signs when they stop you, MAJOR fines!
  5. MOOSE

    MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 393

    Firstclass, Where are u from in Michigan. Me, Bloomfield Hills.. Check around for quotes. I go thru Nationwide but there is other good ones around. Look in the yellow pages, but make sure the agent your calling does Commercial Insurance.

    And last but not least, Welcome.

    Lots of good info here. Read on.
  6. rodfather

    rodfather LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 9,501

  7. Darr57

    Darr57 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 29

    You didn't mention who your insurance carrier was, but I have State Farm for my 7 trucks they are all listed as "non-farm/utility vehicles" it is for small business. My rates are actually cheaper like this than if listed personally you just have to have your agent run a drivers report on any employees you have driving your vehicles.
  8. sc8per_7

    sc8per_7 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 26

    Good Day,
    Welcome Firstclass1, Add it to your Company insurance policy, "Small Business Policy", it is so much cheaper this way. And be ready if you have an accident, and not covered under your business, you could say good bye to your home, personal property ect, ect. If you are a Sole Proprietor, I would recommend going "LLC Business". protect yourself...
  9. Popper357

    Popper357 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 217

    I would like to know what companies are being used for the best rates. My commercial vehicle policy through Amercian Family is $1900 a year and the best I can find. I have all of my DMV points, no tickets for years. Yikes, I want to add a motorcycle to my insurance it ouch,

    I live in MO, BTW.
  10. marko

    marko LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 963

    I canceled my personal truck insurance, got 1,000,000 coverage, my spraying insurance, and equipment for the same price as I was paying just for auto insurance. It pays to check with the independant agents!

Share This Page