• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Truck repair manuals

mmacsek

LawnSite Senior Member
What kind of repair manuals does everyone use? I just bought a 1989 Ford F450. The Haynes and Chilton manuals are pretty generic. I'm not looking to do rebuilds. I would like something that is specific to the vehicle. Also, where do you purchase it? The dealer is useless. Thanks Matt

greendave

LawnSite Member
If I'm not mistaken, Helm Publishing prints the factory repair manuals for some of the domestic manufacturers. Look in the back of your owners manual, there should be a page or two that will let you order a specific manual for your truck. In the past I've always found them to be very thorough.
HTH, David

OP
M

mmacsek

LawnSite Senior Member
Dave,
I don't have the owners manual. Is there a website, address, or phone number? Thanks Matt

Craig Jones

LawnSite Member
We bought used Helm's manuals on Ebay for quite a savings. We bought them for our 1990 F-150. I believe there were two manuals, on for the Body Chassis Electrical and another one that convers the Engines/Transmissions. They come as a set but they sometimes sell them separate. Hope this is of help.

OP
M

mmacsek

LawnSite Senior Member
Tim,
I did a search on ebay and found one volume. The first volume that covers the engine, brakes, etc. It covers Bronco thru F350 and superduty. I have a 450 so I think the superduty covers that. It is real cheap. The problem I'm having is most places have manuals to F350's. One place has Ford authorized reprints for $160 plus shipping. Is that price reality? Thanks for the responses and I'll post back when I buy. Matt