1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Truck repair manuals

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mmacsek, Feb 6, 2004.

1. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of repair manuals does everyone use? I just bought a 1989 Ford F450. The Haynes and Chilton manuals are pretty generic. I'm not looking to do rebuilds. I would like something that is specific to the vehicle. Also, where do you purchase it? The dealer is useless. Thanks Matt

2. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

If I'm not mistaken, Helm Publishing prints the factory repair manuals for some of the domestic manufacturers. Look in the back of your owners manual, there should be a page or two that will let you order a specific manual for your truck. In the past I've always found them to be very thorough.
    HTH, David

3. mmacsek

Dave,
    I don't have the owners manual. Is there a website, address, or phone number? Thanks Matt

4. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

Helm Publishing...1-800-782-4356 or www.helminc.com. Lotsa good stuff available. Have fun!

5. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

We bought used Helm's manuals on Ebay for quite a savings. We bought them for our 1990 F-150. I believe there were two manuals, on for the Body Chassis Electrical and another one that convers the Engines/Transmissions. They come as a set but they sometimes sell them separate. Hope this is of help.

6. mmacsek

Tim,
    I did a search on ebay and found one volume. The first volume that covers the engine, brakes, etc. It covers Bronco thru F350 and superduty. I have a 450 so I think the superduty covers that. It is real cheap. The problem I'm having is most places have manuals to F350's. One place has Ford authorized reprints for $160 plus shipping. Is that price reality? Thanks for the responses and I'll post back when I buy. Matt