1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

truck tires

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by gobblet, Dec 9, 2010.

1. gobblet

gobblet LawnSite Member

Just wondering? It seems like I only get 8-10k miles on truck tires. I do rotate and service all (trailer total weight loaded is around 7k).

I don't do snow removal and over past couple years I have ran through BFG's rugged trails/Grabber HT's etc. all within a year around 10 k.

Please suggest a tire that will get me maybe 2 years, for my 2004 f350

2. gobblet

gobblet LawnSite Member

Sorry forgot Uniroyal. Someone please let me know this is normal?

3. Coastal Lawn Maintenance

Coastal Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

you only go 8 to 10 thousand i run Michelin truck tires and i got 75k on first set and already got 25k on second set. there about the same as the weight you have

4. streetscrapin16

streetscrapin16 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm the same way on my Excursion. I just put a new set of General Grabber AT2 on last winter and within 15K they were shot. I also do plowing and I pull trailers very ofter, but they said I would get atleast 35K out of them given what I told them I do with the truck. Now I just bought 4 BFG All terrain, lets see how long these last. At $200 a tire it better be atleast 30K.

5. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Try Toyo AT's or Cooper ATR's. There good all terrain tires with great tread wear life. On a 3/4 ton, you want a 10 ply if your doing a lot of towing. Keep them rotated and get them filled with nitrogen.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

That is worse than what I get for mileage that I got out of 16 inch rubber usually I 15,000 miles (24,000 kms) my 19.5 tires I may get 19,000 miles out of them.

Seeing as you have a 2004 you most likely have 16 inch rubber and you definatly have to use 10 ply tires.

7. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Have you had your steering aligned?

If there isn't an alignment problem, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires are supposed to last a long time. They are rated #1 on Tire Rack based on performance.

8. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/name/all-terrain-t-a-ko-tires

I got (3) yrs on these truck tires, currently on my second set. Have no idea how many miles I went during those three yrs but was a lot. I drive fast, brake hard, go off road daily. Pick up plenty of nails but never had a flat tire to change before I could get it repaired. I bet they plugged the tires at least (30) times last set! Tires cost about $210 ea including road hazard warranty. I'd like to put these tires on all my trailers but I'd need to win the lottery first! :laugh:

9. gobblet

gobblet LawnSite Member

I know I have to go to an A/T tire. Isn't this a softer type of rubber but thicker than an all-season. So why should I have to pay $200/tire when it's not the type of tire I do not need. I need a good all-season tire that last.
    You would not put a A/T tire on your car to drive into the city...

10. HLCS

HLCS LawnSite Member

i got 85k miles on firestone steeltex load range d on a 1990 gmc dually towing a 16 foot enclosed trailer.