Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this is the wrong forum, but I hope that this will be seen by many. I ask the moderators it they could leave it here. I think its time that EVERYONE take a moment and check your fleet for your safety and others. Check your trailer couplers and safety chains. Check your lights and tires as well as truck and trailer brakes. Check your tie down points. Remember that your tie down system is only as strong as its weakest point.

I know many of use do this as part of our mode of operation, but apparently many don't. Today I was driving on the highway when I see a truck on the other side of the highway loss its trailer. Truck just kept going. I can only guess his safety chains weren't hooked up. What a mess. Thankfully nothing was on the trailer, but still a traffic disaster.

Later in the afternoon, I am sitting at a traffic light on a different highway. I see my buddy's rig come around the corner and through the light making a left turn. I guess the driver didn't realize he was towing a trailer. The truck was tight against the jersey divider, well the trailer wheels went right up the slanted wall, about two feet. The trailer came crashing down on the wall tearing the left rear quarter panel to pieces.

So while your checking your trucks and trailers for safety, I guess it would be a good time to make sure your drivers can actually drive. I hope this rant of mine can save at least one person's life.

Oh! some of these things might also save you expensive tickets and insurance problems. Have a good night to all!:usflag:

·
Registered
226 Posts
I can't agree more with this post, something I always check is the break away system on my trailer. I always make sure the trailer brakes are charged just incase the trailer falls off the truck and for some reason the saftey's don't hold up.

I have a friend who tried giving thsi business a shot (no longer in it for obv. reasons) and refused to plug in his trailer lights/brakes and hook up his safteys. Long story short, he forgot to lock the hitch on the trailer one day, hit a bump and it took off with his $10,000 Walker on the back, which also wasn't strapped down or had the emergency brake locked, his blowers and what not which also weren't straped down and the trailer ended up going thru the side of the car, nearly hitting the girl in the drivers seat. All because hooking up the safteys would "cost money."

It might take ten mins in the morning and once after lunch, but like Crystal Creek said, with a quick saftey check you might find something out of place. Make sure you have your fire extinguishers and first aid kits, and all your DOT physicals and exams you need to take to be legal. Be safe everyone!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't agree more with this post, something I always check is the break away system on my trailer. I always make sure the trailer brakes are charged just incase the trailer falls off the truck and for some reason the saftey's don't hold up.

I have a friend who tried giving thsi business a shot (no longer in it for obv. reasons) and refused to plug in his trailer lights/brakes and hook up his safteys. Long story short, he forgot to lock the hitch on the trailer one day, hit a bump and it took off with his $10,000 Walker on the back, which also wasn't strapped down or had the emergency brake locked, his blowers and what not which also weren't straped down and the trailer ended up going thru the side of the car, nearly hitting the girl in the drivers seat. All because hooking up the safteys would "cost money."

It might take ten mins in the morning and once after lunch, but like Crystal Creek said, with a quick saftey check you might find something out of place. Make sure you have your fire extinguishers and first aid kits, and all your DOT physicals and exams you need to take to be legal. Be safe everyone!
Forgot all about fire extinguisher and first aid kit. I sure that there is a lot of other things we could add, So lets keep the reminders coming. The life it could save could be your's.

·
Registered
97 Posts
great post on safety im sure their are plenty of people out there who dont even use safety chains

·
Registered
226 Posts
I was behind a enclosed trailer a few weeks ago that I almost drove thru. The trailer came to a stop and I didn't notice right away it didn't stop, well the trailer had no trailer lights. So I pull up next to the truck at night next light, look and no saftey chains or plug hooked up, so I tell the kid in the truck that he forgot to plug the trailer light/brakes in and forgot the safteys, and he looked at me like I was an idiot. People like them are reasons why people get hurt in trailer accidents.....

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I stop about every hour to check things mentioned as I need to get out and strech for back reasons. Put 2400 miles on the trailer in 5 days of travel. Check bearing temps and tire temps when loaded too. Put 2900 miles on the truck in 6 days of travel plus about 400 miles on a little U-haul. I make use of the rest areas on the Interstates to check them. Give the trailer bearings a shot of grease every 1000 miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.