Lawn Care Forum banner
61 - 80 of 287 Posts
it's not that I don't value other opinions. even though I know I come across that way a lot.

it's this listen to me and do or try things my way because I've been doing it longer than you attitude I don't care. there are MANY ways to run and operate this business. what works for one may not work for another. and just because you have so many years in the business doesn't mean your ideas or ways are any better or more important than someone with less time in.

plus I don't really think I try to debate why someone else's idea will or won't work. I always feel anyway, that my posts are just me putting down my ideas and ways I do things. I only defensive when I sense that attitude above.

but I'll work on how I come across on this site because I do find it very useful and value most people's input on this site.

While I may not have all brand new equipment, it is definitely the cleanest, shiniest, most taken care of I have ever come across. I am absolutely OCD about all my equipment. My truck is ALWAYS clean and has perfectly polished paint that ALWAYS has a coat of sealant on it. It has zero rust and is undercoated multiple times a year. All power tools, aerators, tractor, etc. get coated with Fluid Film on a regular basis, all paint chips get fixed immediately, and any scratches/scuffs get dealt with right away. All of the customers I have dealt with have complimented me on my flawless equipment, and I have no doubt that I have gotten some business solely because of that.

Discussion starter · #63 ·
Northern Turf Man,

Wow! I guess you are a little OCD about your equipment. It's obviously helped you and that's pretty cool. What you do is something I'm trying to be more proactive about. My whole thing is that my equipment isn't new, but I know that cleaning it, etc. can make the appearance a lot more suitable than dirty and greasy all the time.

Unless you've got a ton of stuff it doesn't take that much time to keep it clean, I usually blow off my stuff after each account which really helps keep the buildup down, I don't wash every week but if it starts looking really dirty usually a couple of weeks I wash it.

i would say it matters a decent amount probably 6-7, I think new trucks are less important then, new equipment. but either way things need to be maintained and look good in order to be taken seriously. Like my truck has 273,000 miles on it but it could probably pass for having 150,000 less miles on it. I wash my truck about once every 3 months, unless it gets really muddy then i'll rinse it off. my mower is new and that in my opinion counts for a lot, although my old mower which was 2005 which i bought new only had 983hrs on it still looked new, because it was garage kept since day one, which my new mower is as well. same with my little wonder. I would rate my 16 year old truck at 6 or 7 out of 10. its no where near perfect, but its pretty clean for the mileage and age, and a lot customers comment on it, even though it hardly ever wash it, it stays pretty clean on its own.

I am new to this site, retired military and this is one of my pet peeves that I have learned over the years. Appearance is more important that most people realize. In this line of work, it means your equipment and yourself.
The first impression people (potential customers) have of you is what they see..before you even say a word. It is not very hard to clean your equipment and maintain it so it looks professional. It shows something I think if you don't. I have a friend and his dad owned a million dollar company. When someone interviewed for the job, his dad would send an employee out to look at the prospective employee's vehicle to see if it was nice and clean, inside and out or looked like a dumpster on wheels. If it looked like the latter, that person was not hired. I totally understand this frame of mind. I admit I am OCD and probably take it to the extreme, but it has paid off time and time again.
Good luck to all of you in 2013, and let's kick some ass..I mean grass.
Jeff W.

I am a new lawn care business owner. I started off with a 2001 Nissan Maxima with a small trailer. No one seemed to mind, I recently purchased a 07 silverado and my customers seem to be very impressed and really like that I went to a truck. Many of my customers care about what equipment is being used to mow their lawns (in the high end clientele). My opinion is that people will always care about what you and your tools look like as long as pricing is competitive. Lawn care boils down to reliability, customer service and of course the quality of work. Equipment will help you in 2 of these categories. However keeping overhead down is key. Buy things as you need them. Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Stewart

My primary target neighborhoods have home values averaging in the mid 275K-350K range. It's a new suburb, very clean, etc...

My question is: on a 1-10, how much significance should I place on the appearance of my truck and equipment (equipment only not personal appearance?) I know personal appearance is important but that's not what I'm worried about.

What are your thoughts?
I would give it an 8 always

To me presentation is 15% of the package.

The vehicle, trailer, equipment is important as its a constant advertisement for the business and is the first perception the customer will have of you.

None of it has to be brand new, just maintained and looking professional.

Vehicle - cleaned washed regularly (every couple weeks) no mud covering windows or brake dust caked on the rims.

Trailer - S/b DOT legal always. If some rust forms, a little touch up paint goes along ways. Also, if the transport doesn't take care of the debris inside the trailer, hit it with the blower of an evening.

Equipment (Except handhelds) - Pressure washer, weekly and then dry with blower, don't want water pooling around bearings or on deck. Plus cleaning the cooling fins and pumps will keep them running cooler and help extend the life.

Truck/trailer appearance has been important to me. Ive had decent luck with basic signs and a clean truck (usually) & trailer/equipment.

Everything needs a good cleaning but its freezing out

You should make the effort to have the best of everything for plenty of reasons - appearance and productivity.

But that doesn't mean people won't hire you with a 2002 truck and 5 year old equipment. It's a process.

I certainly don't think it ever makes sense to go out and buy a $50,000 truck and $40,000 worth of equipment if you cannot justify the expense and recover your investment.

When your truck, trailer, equipment and employees appear clean and well-kept, it does make an impression. People do take notice, just like they would if your rust-bucket pulled up with everything duct-taped, oil and black smoke spilling and pouring out all over the place.

I agree with sean. Keep it clean and fix the rust.....Rustoleum works great for trucks and trailers. You can paint both for under $50 with either a brush and roller or air sprayer. Google a poormans paint job..:)

Trailer is kept clean after every day's use. Truck is washed when needed and by needed I mean washed and waxed weekly. I have an open trailer so for me its the smaller things that count having the gas tanks facing the same way, making sure everything is strapped down tight. When people who may not be my clients are out walking their dog I greet them. Its the little things.

You have to crawl before you walk. I've seen people working out the back of their trunk out cut the big boys. Don't get cocky don't get lazy.

You should make the effort to have the best of everything for plenty of reasons - appearance and productivity.

But that doesn't mean people won't hire you with a 2002 truck and 5 year old equipment. It's a process.

I certainly don't think it ever makes sense to go out and buy a $50,000 truck and $40,000 worth of equipment if you cannot justify the expense and recover your investment.

When your truck, trailer, equipment and employees appear clean and well-kept, it does make an impression. People do take notice, just like they would if your rust-bucket pulled up with everything duct-taped, oil and black smoke spilling and pouring out all over the place.
I agree 100% Sean. I remember hearing something as a young boy that has stuck with me thru all of the years. It's in reference to what kind of people other people want to do business with. The saying is short and simple:
"Even a drunkard doesn't want to do business with a drunkard"....and how true this is.

Most potential customers want to do business with people that make an effort to look presentable, and act in a professional manner. They also, in most cases, don't want to do business with someone that curses every other word. It just comes across as very unprofessional, and in my opinion, offensive.

Some business owners throw the "F" word around like it's nothing, and the "GD's" (which are, in my opinion, much worse that the "F" bomb) are sprinkled throughout their sentences as if they were completely necessary.

I'm shocked nowadays at how many younger business people aren't aware of these basic principles. They spend a lot of time and money worrying about details that are absolutely moot points if the basics aren't right to start with.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree with everybody, the estimate is the first impression. Good looking truck, even if its older keep it clean, clean shirt, maybe a polo shirt, good letterhead, clipboard etc. Then the trucks and trailers come after that. In season trucks get washed every friday and trailer every other. Power wash all my mowers and such one a month (i try) and paint where scratched. Every winter, if the mower is a little beat, i tape off all the decals and paint the machine and good as new. . Everybody around knows me for my good looking stuff and team. It feels nice to know that but honestly i just want my stuff to last haha. Here's one i just got done with, its a 2007 viking with 584 hours.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

That's a great looking mower, just proves it ain't gotta be new to look new, just maintain and keep your stuff fresh and clean, it isn't that hard, I just don't get these guys that don't give a rats butt about what their stuff looks like. And the ones that go out there and look and act like they just crawled out of the dumpster! and talk like they just came out of a cave.

this was my lawn truck for 13 years-recently replaced. It was always clean, and sold in a week. Trailer gets a fresh coat of paint every spring. Appearance still matters to me.
What year is this truck? I kept one just like it (with the exception of the wheels) from 2000 until late 2012....it was an '09. I had great luck with it, I never turned a bolt on it except for routine maintenance. I really like the wheels on yours too...where they stock?

Stan

61 - 80 of 287 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.