Lawn Care Forum banner
101 - 120 of 287 Posts
Here's a hint, it doesn't have to be a Cadillac, a well maintained, plain white truck that is clean, rust and dent free will suffice. But a 20+ year old rusted out oil dripping, dent infested truck won't! This has nothing to do with the lawn that a totally different discussion.

There's many newer trucks dented, that drip oil have poor maintenance and guess what they have high class customers. The debate is juvenile at best.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree that a truck doesn't have to be new-but for me it has to be clean, not spotless, just tidy clean, sure its gonna get dirty-hell, my previous 99 still had grass behind the plastic in the dash when I sold it-but it still ran good and looked good. Dings and scratches? yup, but I wasn't chuggin' down the street blowing smoke, with busted springs, and wearing 3 different colors of paint. But thats just me.

In my opinion and experience people view clean trucks, trailers and equipment as an example of your work. If you dont care about your own stuff or equipment why would you care about their property? I have always said this is a cut throat business. I always assume my competition does great work too. Its the little things that seperate us.
Posted via Mobile Device

There's many newer trucks dented, that drip oil have poor maintenance and guess what they have high class customers. The debate is juvenile at best.
Posted via Mobile Device
If one had the money to buy a new truck then they should have collision and be able to afford to have the truck body fixed.

Same with the oil leaks.

Again a truck and trailer do not have to be new to look clean and presentable.

Times have changed due to the failing economy, you have to be on your A+ Game.

Back in the late 90's before I owned my business I worked for my uncles company and we had so many clients we worked 7 days a week and we actually had to turn down some customers because we were too busy, and guess what, we drove 2 beat up old and ugly Chevy trucks.

Back in those days it was different, but I agree that now you have to really be on your top game. I don't drive a brand new sparkling and shiny truck, but I keep it clean and maintained and I wash the machines when it's needed.

Trucks should be a rolling billboard and all your equipment should be clean and in good shape and mower blades should be nice and sharp. Image is everything in this business and your quality of work should be second to none.

Read thru most of this post and have to agree with the last few folks. It's not about having the newest, brightest, shiniest stuff. It's about having presentable, maintained, and professional looking stuff. I run an 03 F250 Powerchoke with 178000 miles on it, but you would never know that by looking at it, I keep it relatively clean as well as my trailer and equipment. Everyday when we get done mowing, we back the truck/trailer up in front of the garage and hose everything down, it takes 5, maybe 10 minutes and it makes the equipment and evertyhing look that much better, not to mention the aspect of taking care of equipment and maintenance. Lastly, have a somewhat organized look to your rig, all too often I see guys rollin down the road with a truck and trailer that looks like they picked their equipment up with a front loader and just dumped it on the trailer, randomly putting stuff where it fits. Think about it realistically if you have a need for that much stuff, then you should be able to justify a bigger trailer to organize better..... just saying.

Oh appearance matters you do not want to be the guy with mowers in his trunk or on the roof of his station wagon. Nor the guy around here with the mini van with no rear door who parks the mower sticking out the back. You want the next level down same guy couldn't drive for years DUI so rode the mower all over town from one job to the next and of course didn't own a shirt.

Iv had old ladies tell me they wanted me to mow their lawns because i had all new equipment and she believed that meant it would leave a nicer cut. The fact that not only was the equipment not new but had 3000 plus hours on it didn't matter I kept it clean so it must be true.
I think she is right in that aspect. from her perspective. The fact that your equipment looks new shows that you maintain it well. and maintaining it well does make lawns look better. your equipment looks new. chances are your blades are maintained and sharpened. no breakdowns to put you days behind. im sure she wasnt thining of it this way, but its true none the less.

Truck/trailer appearance is everything in my opinion. You don't see the big guys driving trucks that are 15 years old and rusted out, they have new equipment.

I think you have to get that smooth medum. Don't have a four door dualy and a fancy trailer. I have a new ford f150 with a nice enclosed trailer.And I have my logo across the side for advertising. I think it gets me more buisness. But, who knows right?

appearance defiantly gets you more. its all about looks. in fact I'm putting an office in my trailer. do a walk through then step into the office. customer gets to sit in my chair as j slip in one next to the desk. pull out paperwork for all their options or even set up the laptop and show them some landscape options. even have supplier mags out so they can browse and chose materials.

appearance defiantly gets you more. its all about looks. in fact I'm putting an office in my trailer. do a walk through then step into the office. customer gets to sit in my chair as j slip in one next to the desk. pull out paperwork for all their options or even set up the laptop and show them some landscape options. even have supplier mags out so they can browse and chose materials.
Let me play "Joe Homeowner" customer for a minute. If you came to my house and asked me to come into your trailer, I would feel weird and wouldn't do it. What I would be comfortable with is you come into my house (neatly dressed and groomed) with your lap top and small printer to discuss my options as your customer.

That's an interesting idea, but not at all practical. I don't see any customers wanting to climb around your equipment. Really, bird. You weren't going to do this.

101 - 120 of 287 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.