1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

TRUCK VAC for real WET, WET grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, May 28, 2001.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a business idea that may involve using some type of truck mount or smaller type vacuum for picking up wet grass clippings. I have read good things about Billy Goat 16hp and want to know what you recommend for my operation. I have a dealer in town but it is questionable as to a demo unit so can ya help?

I am wondering what vacuum in this class (small gasser 16-24 hp +-)would work for vacuuming up very wet packed decomposing grass and yard waste? I don't want to get into the larger tow behinds if possible.
    Picture a 30 gallon garbage can filled with grass clippings from last week. Will the vac you use pick it up without sitting there for 5 minutes or more? Positives and negatives of this appreciated.

So what do you recommend? Thanks

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

A 16 HP truck loader will have more suckshion than an 8 HP loader. You will have to loosen up the material that you are trying to suck up so it will flow up the pipe.I move the material that I am picking up with a spring tooth rake in front of the pick up pipe so it flows up the pipe with the air going into the loader.

Any one putting grass clippings in a 30 gal. barrell and leaving them for a week is looking for trouble,( spontainous combustion ).A friend of mine left the catcher bag on his push mower full and burned down his garage.

Gene

3. had a Parker w/16hp Brigg and Sh@tn and it got stopped up a looooooooot

got rid of it and got a giant vac 6001 got it stopped up once stick got caught in tube

the bigger the better