Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spray truck......or pick up with a skid. you know if you get chemicals in the bed of the truck and need to wash it out or spray off your spreader and other equiptment that might have a residue of chemicals and/or dry fert on them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
++++Im guilty as charged, but I find it ironic, the members who are the first to jump on someone for licenses, etc., are now probably sitting on their thumbs...++++

I agree. These "Why don't you read the label" types that post on the Fert/Pesticide board aren't exactly speaking up here.

What do you guys do with the material in your backpack if it's half full of, say, MSMA or Glyphosphate (Roundup) and you need to spray flea & tick on the next lawn and you only have one backpack sprayer?

I carry five backpack sprayers to avoid this sitution. But I haven't seen any other companies in my area carrying that many. Most only carry one. When I was with Chemlawn in '90 we only carried one back pack sprayer. Never made much sense to me. We were taught to pour the contents of the backpack into the 300 gal trunk mounted tank when this happened. Actually, I wouldn't say we were taught by the company to do this, but co-workers taught each other this trick. I don't remember the company ever telling us what to do in this situation.

Just curious how everyone would handle this situation.

Later,
osu2winbig12

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
We empty try to keep our mixes so we run out on the last property,. If the weather changes or whatever and we have a full tank or part tank I have plastic barrels that I can store the left over in and use it up later. We empty the round up on our own gravel lot and wash out on it also. We also have separate back packs for round up and broadleaf sprays.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Originally posted by philk17088
I keep old rinsed 2.5 gal jugs for differebt back pack mixes such as roundup,lontrel, or three way. I label it with the material and the rate of mix.
Re-using containers is a violation of the label. They are supposed to be triple rinsed and disposed. Unless you make the label disappear

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
All my stuff is washed right at home. I DO flush all the bottoms of the trucks out at the carwash, and do the inner-fenderwells, chassis, and such, but then I take them home to do the body with a nice "spongebath" with Turtlewax wash solution.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I wash 'em inside the fill bay. All rinse goes into the 300 gal. rinsate pit, then gets filtered to get out the "chunky stuff". After that I pump a maximum of 5-10% of it back into the trucks with each fill (except Tree/Shrub, H2O only!) so that all pesticide is put back where it belongs...on the lawns. Since the dilution rate is very low I've had no problems with reactivity. It helps to have a good, accurate water and sump meter that ensure accurate fills. At the end of the season I collect any insoluble material(s) and put them in 5 gallon buckets and add Quickrete or other instant concrete and the voila...materials are locked in tight and will not leach in a landfill.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.