Lawn Care Forum banner
221 - 240 of 4,663 Posts
I'll answer the questions about "the amigo." The kid is nuts on a trimmer, its almost like he was born with it stuck in his hands. Micah and him helped me out today because I was behind on my mowing for the week and we managed to cut 17 lawns, 5 of which were a fairly good size that needed a decent amount of trimming in about 6 hours. The stander cuts amazing and it definitley gets attention at most of the lawns.

Discussion starter · #223 ·
Dang Remax your lawns look great. Ive got a stander with 400 hours on it and it doesnt make stripes like that... I must be doing something wrong...
Well i dont have any secrets and most lawns are single cut. a few i double cut sometimes when needed.
Where did you get the amigo? Legal? lol Do you have to pick him up and stuff?

Lawns look sharp as usual. For SD on the stander it breaks up the grass good. Those lawns look pretty thick too for that clean of a cut. Good work
He comes from lawrence and has a drivers license but cant afford his car insurance yet. so he takes the bus. Hes been here for 8 years and didnt jump the border.

The fast blade tip speed and big engine help provide a clean cut for the stander.
You guys are getting rain up there? In northern NJ its dry as a bone. No rain in the forcast for a while!
Yeah weve had alot of rain. The last week has been sunny and fairly dry. little rain today.
post some pics of a lawn cut by the scag
Ok i'll get on that. I dont have any full propertys cut by the scag. usually just part of a lawn.
Hopefully it doesn't cut as bad as it looks
Not to shabby. leaves stripes at least.
I'll answer the questions about "the amigo." The kid is nuts on a trimmer, its almost like he was born with it stuck in his hands. Micah and him helped me out today because I was behind on my mowing for the week and we managed to cut 17 lawns, 5 of which were a fairly good size that needed a decent amount of trimming in about 6 hours. The stander cuts amazing and it definitley gets attention at most of the lawns.
haha. no wonder you aint answering the phone. posted after 1AM. :nono::drinkup:

Your pics have sold me on the Wright Stander. Next time I need a mower.... yep gonna seriously look at one. Nice Stripes!

Haha he looks pretty friendly..... Mystic's guy is pretty scary looking but he seems to be a nice guy too.

How did you find him? What do you pay him? (You can PM me that if you don't want it on the forum)

Discussion starter · #226 ·
Your pics have sold me on the Wright Stander. Next time I need a mower.... yep gonna seriously look at one. Nice Stripes!
I think you would like it at least as much as the pics can prove.
Haha he looks pretty friendly..... Mystic's guy is pretty scary looking but he seems to be a nice guy too.

How did you find him? What do you pay him? (You can PM me that if you don't want it on the forum)
Nah this guy is very friendly. I've never seen him upset or anything of that nature yet. Always smiling laughing and joking around but not sacrificing work for it. he gets along with anyone and speaks very good english.

Another landscaper that my dad and I know uses guatomalens (all legit) and my dad was doing new brick and granite steps at a house and had this guys brother from the other landscape co. come work for him on the job cuz my dad was busy managing another job at the same time too. I stopped by and asked the guy workn if he had any friends or anyone lookn for work. He said his younger brother was and had been out of work for around a month from a former landscaper. So he contacted me and thats how we hooked up.

As of now he gets $13 an hr. He has worked for other landscape companies over the years in Haverhill, Georgetown, and Boxboro.

Definitly not a rookie.

Rain get you behind? How many lawns do you service? Nice you got someone to help ya when you get behind

I think you would like it at least as much as the pics can prove.

Nah this guy is very friendly. I've never seen him upset or anything of that nature yet. Always smiling laughing and joking around but not sacrificing work for it. he gets along with anyone and speaks very good english.

Another landscaper that my dad and I know uses guatomalens (all legit) and my dad was doing new brick and granite steps at a house and had this guys brother from the other landscape co. come work for him on the job cuz my dad was busy managing another job at the same time too. I stopped by and asked the guy workn if he had any friends or anyone lookn for work. He said his younger brother was and had been out of work for around a month from a former landscaper. So he contacted me and thats how we hooked up.

As of now he gets $13 an hr. He has worked for other landscape companies over the years in Haverhill, Georgetown, and Boxboro.

Definitly not a rookie.
How many hours are you working him every week?

Discussion starter · #229 ·
How many hours are you working him every week?
He's been with me almost 5 weeks. He gets round 30 hours on average. we start at 8 and end round 5. the most hes gotten so far is 39 hours in a week. when he started he got round 20.

Rain get you behind? How many lawns do you service? Nice you got someone to help ya when you get behind
The rain not so much, but my trailer needed a new deck in the middle of the week....actually it was me trying to put it off until the end of the season..long story short my cougar went thru the deck on the back of the trailer. So Micah offered to help me out on Friday. I normally mow between 45-50 properties a week. Micah and his Guat are unbelievable workers, and the Guatamalen is exteremley friendly...especially towards women haha.

The rain not so much, but my trailer needed a new deck in the middle of the week....actually it was me trying to put it off until the end of the season..long story short my cougar went thru the deck on the back of the trailer. So Micah offered to help me out on Friday. I normally mow between 45-50 properties a week. Micah and his Guat are unbelievable workers, and the Guatamalen is exteremley friendly...especially towards women haha.
You always have to be friendly to the nice single soccer mommies ;) I know my son has gotten many offers and i just drool and think back to the college days :laugh:

hey I'm 17 and still in school. My business is doing well but I have't grow b/c of school. Do you have any suggestions?
You'll learn that 24 hours in a day isn't enough time to get everything done there is to do. Make school your priority for now, there will be plenty of time to make money when you're out. Also build connections with others in your area so when you are short on time and need things done, others can help you out.

He's been with me almost 5 weeks. He gets round 30 hours on average. we start at 8 and end round 5. the most hes gotten so far is 39 hours in a week. when he started he got round 20.
He must be saving you A LOT of time. I would just hate writing the check out every week for $300+.... Have you been able to add enough work so that you are netting similar money to what you were making as a solo op.?

what do you use for baging with the stander and how well do it work for larger yard like how many times you dump and how often? cuz im in the market for a new mower and im thinking of a toro grandstand but we bag 90% of are yard and some are 2 acer watered and fert. soo the baging is the hold up other wise i like the idea of a stander.

Discussion starter · #237 ·
Yeah i'll make sure he's not there when Rachel or Kelsy are around. He makes the funniest comments and statements when we're driving in the truck between jobs.
hey I'm 17 and still in school. My business is doing well but I have't grow b/c of school. Do you have any suggestions?
Well if your thinking i'm growing very fast and outta control. I'm not. its been a slow process. The economy has kept things from taking off for many this year. do your best to secure what u have for work and build off that.
He must be saving you A LOT of time. I would just hate writing the check out every week for $300+.... Have you been able to add enough work so that you are netting similar money to what you were making as a solo op.?
yes he makes the job go faster. I had a kid working with me before him so this isn't my first time having an employee. I have add more account and work so having another guys is paying of and making it worth it while also being able to expand and stay dependable for my customer base.
what do you use for baging with the stander and how well do it work for larger yard like how many times you dump and how often? cuz im in the market for a new mower and im thinking of a toro grandstand but we bag 90% of are yard and some are 2 acer watered and fert. soo the baging is the hold up other wise i like the idea of a stander.
I use the Grass Gobbler. Its not fun for big properties but i dont bag all the time. the grass catching options for Stander's arent the best as far as quantity. Its nice have the Walker because it makes up for it.
Do you actually use all those things in the dump bed and all the rakes and hand tools on a daily basis?
Yes anything in the dump i put in when we leave the shop in the morning so its thing we need for jobs during the day. the rakes and hand tools are used often too. i carry extra rakes because they do break when you arent expecting it.

I honestly do not think that guy is guatamalan. I have guatamalans working for me and they are all short and very dark skinned. Ive never seen a guatamalan look like the one working for you. But hey who cares what nationality they are as long as they do good work.

that is a nice ford truck does it have a V8 or V10 Triton?

221 - 240 of 4,663 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.