Lawn Care Forum banner
301 - 320 of 4,663 Posts
How did that loader of yours work? I'm in a bind with one. My town no longer offers curb side leaf pickup like they've been doing for the past 3 million years. Some gay law NJ just passed. Anyways, I'm having a tough time spending 3+ grand on a loader. We dont have large properties, like 2+acres, but still get alot of leaves. I have a 6x12 dump with walls built up. I looked at the 18hp billy goat. How well do they work? Any problems with not enough power, wet leaves, grass? Any info would help. They want around 3300 plus tax for one. It costs me about 130 bucks to dump 12 yards (what the trailer will hold) I might tough it out for one year to see if they change their rules around. 3,500 is alot of trips to the dump. I figured i could just stamp them down by walking on them. What do you think?

Discussion starter · #303 ·
How did that loader of yours work? I'm in a bind with one. My town no longer offers curb side leaf pickup like they've been doing for the past 3 million years. Some gay law NJ just passed. Anyways, I'm having a tough time spending 3+ grand on a loader. We dont have large properties, like 2+acres, but still get alot of leaves. I have a 6x12 dump with walls built up. I looked at the 18hp billy goat. How well do they work? Any problems with not enough power, wet leaves, grass? Any info would help. They want around 3300 plus tax for one. It costs me about 130 bucks to dump 12 yards (what the trailer will hold) I might tough it out for one year to see if they change their rules around. 3,500 is alot of trips to the dump. I figured i could just stamp them down by walking on them. What do you think?
You don't really need an 18hp. Mine is 16 hp and i know guys with new 10hp billy goats that don't have issues with underpowered engines. Since your properties arent huge i think you would be fine with less hp. If your planning on going brand new then i wouldn't worry bout wet leaves or grass. If its used sometimes there could be a worn impellor that could hurt the performance somewhat. They do shred the leaves but not to powder, just enough to pack them in better then just raking and dumping barrels in the trailer.

The trick with these machines to get the best performance is to manage the hose so the leaves go through evenly and not in big clumps which could clogg the hose if the leaves are very wet. the hose needs to "breath" so it doesn't work well to drop the whole end of the hose in a pile of dence leaves where no air can pass through easily. it works much faster and easier if half of the hose opening is leaves and half air passing through.
Ya I know Its probably going to get to be a pain with college and it getting dark so early
Just gotta work as fast as possible and don't waste a minute.

You don't really need an 18hp. Mine is 16 hp and i know guys with new 10hp billy goats that don't have issues with underpowered engines. Since your properties arent huge i think you would be fine with less hp. If your planning on going brand new then i wouldn't worry bout wet leaves or grass. If its used sometimes there could be a worn impellor that could hurt the performance somewhat. They do shred the leaves but not to powder, just enough to pack them in better then just raking and dumping barrels in the trailer.

The trick with these machines to get the best performance is to manage the hose so the leaves go through evenly and not in big clumps which could clogg the hose if the leaves are very wet. the hose needs to "breath" so it doesn't work well to drop the whole end of the hose in a pile of dence leaves where no air can pass through easily. it works much faster and easier if half of the hose opening is leaves and half air passing through.

Just gotta work as fast as possible and don't waste a minute.
Awesome, thanks! Any idea on the reduction ratio? I've read somewhere 12:1. To make it in simpler terms, would it be for ever 12 trailer loads of leaves i would have 1? Or every 12 leaves, makes it one? My thing is the 3k+. I also need the trailer for firewood, so i might have to dump a half load one time and a full another. I would also have to take the loader off. I don't know if its worth doing all this. I might just tuff it ouf this year and buy it early next year.

You working with joey to do clean-ups?

Discussion starter · #306 ·
You working with joey to do clean-ups?
Yeah. He doesn't have any regular employees that work daily with him so it would work well for both of us since we cover the same areas. hes got the 11' dump with an approx. 12' leaf box. between the two of us we should have enough blowers and mowers so most cleanups we'll knock out together. We've been workn out pay rates etc. and payn the guat which works with him 2 days a week when i'm takn college classes. I take him back in the afternoon.

Discussion starter · #307 ·
Awesome, thanks! Any idea on the reduction ratio? I've read somewhere 12:1. To make it in simpler terms, would it be for ever 12 trailer loads of leaves i would have 1? Or every 12 leaves, makes it one? My thing is the 3k+. I also need the trailer for firewood, so i might have to dump a half load one time and a full another. I would also have to take the loader off. I don't know if its worth doing all this. I might just tuff it ouf this year and buy it early next year.
ahh i don't know much about the specs. Can you build some sort of a box on the new reg. cab GMC truck you bought?

ahh i don't know much about the specs. Can you build some sort of a box on the new reg. cab GMC truck you bought?
I could allways use the box i made for the firewood. I don't know if you remember that, but my only concern with that is that it wont hold too many leaves. I would hate to go to the dump every day. I might just use the dump for the leaves, and the box for the firewood. I don't know yet. I guess i'll worry about it when it comes time. Thanks for the info though.

I just bought the 18 hp billy goat . cant wait to use it . Im in the same boat jersey wont pickup leaves and I really don't want to bag them AGAIN :dizzy: where are you from in N.J.

I just bought the 18 hp billy goat . cant wait to use it . Im in the same boat jersey wont pickup leaves and I really don't want to bag them AGAIN :dizzy: where are you from in N.J.
Is it a state wide thing now? If it is, it makes me feel somewhat better then just being my town. Either way it sucks. I'm by giants stadium. What did you pay for your BG and where did you buy it from?

Is it a state wide thing now? If it is, it makes me feel somewhat better then just being my town. Either way it sucks. I'm by giants stadium. What did you pay for your BG and where did you buy it from?
Not sure if its state wide . our towns are plain lazy lol, I paid $3199.00 .Im in morris county I got it from power place in rockaway . its on rt 46 . Im working on the dump now , gotta build the box and some other stuff .

Trudeau how tall was the box on your truck ? Im trying to decide on a good hight

Yeah. He doesn't have any regular employees that work daily with him so it would work well for both of us since we cover the same areas. hes got the 11' dump with an approx. 12' leaf box. between the two of us we should have enough blowers and mowers so most cleanups we'll knock out together. We've been workn out pay rates etc. and payn the guat which works with him 2 days a week when i'm takn college classes. I take him back in the afternoon.
Sounds like what me an bryan did last two years, why are you even gunna build a box, you should just a big one on his then use yours for brush or a few barrels at the end of the day if the trucks fills, thats what we did last year.

Not sure if its state wide . our towns are plain lazy lol, I paid $3199.00 .Im in morris county I got it from power place in rockaway . its on rt 46 . Im working on the dump now , gotta build the box and some other stuff .

Trudeau how tall was the box on your truck ? Im trying to decide on a good hight
I'm also located in Morris County. There are still towns in NJ that do curbside leaf pickup with vacs. There are at least 3 towns within minutes of me that still have several vacs and pick up leaves for properties in the town. Works out well for me. I only have 3 or 4 houses I either have to cart away or have someone vac them for me. As far as I know the law your talking about Petr is not state wide.

Discussion starter · #317 ·

10' 1" off the ground. the box itself was 5' high.
Sounds like what me an bryan did last two years, why are you even gunna build a box, you should just a big one on his then use yours for brush or a few barrels at the end of the day if the trucks fills, thats what we did last year.
I don't plan on building some big ellaborate box. mite just build taller sides. other then that we'll be operating like you two. maybe we'll put 2 Billygoats on Joeys dump since its so big:laugh:

I'm also located in Morris County. There are still towns in NJ that do curbside leaf pickup with vacs. There are at least 3 towns within minutes of me that still have several vacs and pick up leaves for properties in the town. Works out well for me. I only have 3 or 4 houses I either have to cart away or have someone vac them for me. As far as I know the law your talking about Petr is not state wide.
Yea, my town used to use bulldozers for the leaves. It was pretty cool to watch them do it. It said in the paper it was a NJ state law. I think the rule around it is that it can't be in the street for more then a few days. I guess each town will decide whether or not they can clean it up in a few days.

301 - 320 of 4,663 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.