TruGreen BS

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Burnie, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Burnie

Burnie LawnSite Member

Had a customer call that TruGreen just stopped by and told them they had chinchbugs! I told them a month ago they had an irrigation problem in that spot (and a couple of other spots), and still do. He is in Texas and is just going by what his wife told him they said. We are going thru an EXTREME DROUGHT (6 weeks now) and 1/2+ of my customers lawns have dry spots (Dead Spots) from irrigation problems. I REALLY hate when companies come in telling them they have Bugs to try to get a sales contract, when they really have an irrigation problem.

/Rant Over/

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Blatant lies to get business is hard to fathom.

Except if your Toogreen.

RussellB and Burnie like this.
  3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Have you considered sending a letter to your clients to inform and forewarn them about tactics such as these? No need to name any competitors but to offer information and suggestions for treatment i.e. irrigation, etc. Perhaps, this would head off folks stealing your accounts.

Salesmen for some companies have quotas to meet and nothing is off the table when it comes to meeting them.

Cam15, 13Razorbackfan, Burnie and 3 others like this.
  4. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Had similar couple years ago... Was not yet my spray customer but a mow customer. She came out and "showed me" the evidence of "grub worms" that said company rep had showed her to upsell a grub control product. She pulled out a few pieces of dead grass/thatch left from the last mowing. Bingo... Grubs. Yep. (Rolling eyes).

Cam15, Burnie and sjessen like this.
  5. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Fanatic

And that's why TruGreeD has the notorious reputation of being a predatory leverage capital Mass Marketing Corporation that just "dabbles" in the actual business of lawn-care on the side!

They need to change their company motto to...
    "TruGreeD: Where we cheat to compete!" :eek:

Burnie and Cam15 like this.
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Years ago my boss sometimes diagnosed a fertilizer burn as chinchbugs. He would send a man out and spray it with Dursban.

7. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate dealing with some of these chemical companies. I had an issue with the same company at a lawn I serviced. He kept telling my customer things I was doing wrong in maintaining the lawn. I finally told them, I was sorry but this guy has no idea what he was talking about. I said you see all this poa annua in your back yard? The customer said yes. I said well ask you chemical tech why he is so worried about what I do, but he can't even do his job right. They make chemicals to take care of this weed and it has been here growing all season. Please tell him to do his job and let me do mine. I never heard another word about it, and suddenly the weeds magically started dying a couple of weeks later. I asked the customer if the guy had sprayed it, and he said yes. Hmmmm its amazing what can happen if you do your job and let me do mine. lol

Kulik Lawn and Burnie like this.
  8. Ole_blue

Ole_blue LawnSite Member

True green has the worst looking yards imo. If the customer doesnt apply fert on top of what they do then no good. I've literally had yards where true green slowly killed them. It's like they keep the grass on the edge of being dead to sell the customer more work. One lady I told multiple times to get rid of them before her grass dies. She had to resod her front yard and still insisted on using them.

Burnie, Steve and Cam15 like this.
  9. StripeLife

StripeLife LawnSite Member

A Similar situation happened with one of my longtime customers that has used Trugreen for years. Once they burned her lawn out big time by over applying and somehow managed to keep her as a customer. She knows that I have my applicators license but refuses to have me touch the lawn other than to mow it weekly. TruGreen recently told her to not have her lawn cut for a week so they could address a lawn issue. They said it was "heat stress" and that they would need to put more fertilizer down! Its been in the 70's here for weeks with heavy rains and everyones lawns are growing like crazy. Frauds.

Cam15, hort101 and Burnie like this.
  10. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Fanatic

Much of these burnt TruGreen lawns are a result of the cheapo Hi-Nitrogen quick-release Urea that they use to fertilize with.
    Coupled with the high employee turnover rate of Applicators. Where a new-guy with maybe just a few days of training doesn't follow the Best Practices of proper equipment calibration and application procedure, resulting in an unintended "chemical mishap"!.
    And then there are the times of season where TruGreed dosen't even bother spraying for weeds, in an effort to keep their product cost down, and sell more weed control sprays later in the season!

Cam15 likes this.