Trump will back 25 cent Fuel Tax

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Charles, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

So he gives this huge tax cut. No money left to pay for his infrastructure improvements. Well duh!. So for business owners, who use a lot of fuel daily, this tax will negate the cuts. As well as for lower income people. A tax is a Tax! So we have to be prepared. I heard it on a radio news report. So I googled it to make sure:

http://fortune.com/2018/02/14/trump-gas-tax-infrastructure/

"President Donald Trump told lawmakers he would support a 25-cent increase in the federal gasoline tax to pay for his plan to upgrade U.S. public infrastructure, a congressional aide said.

Oregon Representative Peter DeFazio, the top Democrat on the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, who was in Trump’s meeting with a dozen Democratic and Republican lawmakers, said the president also told them he would be willing to increase the amount of federal spending beyond the $200 billion he is seeking for the infrastructure program.

Trump previously has said he would consider raising the federal gasoline tax that hasn’t been increased since 1993. Axios reported earlier that Trump endorsed a 25-cent increase in the tax...."

2. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Have you written your Local, State, Federal representitives as well as the Trump to voice your opinion? Have you called their offices?

3. Charles

Would it do any good? Country is so divided that many will support whatever they do. Have you contacted any rep Russell? We are in a State that supports anything Trump does

Steve likes this.
  4. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn’t care if they raised it even more as long as it went to the roads. Every new road the build in Texas seems to be an expensive toll road.

kemco and rlitman like this.
  5. Charles

I think if they managed our money better, then no tax increase would be needed. I bet if Trump said he was going to raise taxes the Election would have gone differently. They are also going to have to raise taxes to build the wall or borrow more money. This is a freakin mess!

6. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I write my representitives when the need arises. I saw Trumps proposal and a gas tax is NOT in it. If and when it does I will respond to them accordingly. That said, I have supported the penny gas tax (Horry County) that was proposed and voted in here several years ago. We have paved many roads and highways are under construction everywhere. I suggest other counties look at doing the same. I'd have to look closely at a fed gas tax to see exactly what it would be used for.

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Problem isn’t taxes
    Problem is no accountability for how taxes are spent.
    Those who use the roads the most should pay for them.
    There’s forms to fill out for tax reimbursement for off road fuel use (like mowers)
    It’s better than toll roads that create traffic.
    How much driving are low income people doing?

Owning/operating a vehicle isn’t an inalienable right.
    Can’t afford it don’t do it.
    We already have far too much leisure traffic and unnecessary/inefficient milling about in the roads as it is.

The plebs can use public transport
    The problem comes when the public transport is i sufficient because the taxes to pay for that stuff has been misappropriated.

Sans places like nyc/San Francisco etc , American public transport is in a sad state.

In the mid to late 1800s we were a leader if not the leader is railroad development
    Now we’re lucky we don’t still run choo choos.

Taxes need to go where they are supposed to, not to pet projects of whatever senator knows how raid budgets.

8. Charles

I think his initial proposal was more privatizing which would create more toll roads

9. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

How about paychecks being decreased giving take home pay another $1.50/month and then raising the federal gas tax so that we pay $25+ a month to pay for a wall that Mexico is supposed to pay for. I like Comey's take on Washington "Liars and Weasels" (actually an insult to the Weasels) which is so rightly put. I guess millions to his friends isn't enough. Should be impeached, thrown out of office and deported to Russia to live with his friends. And we won't even go into those box lunches! This administration is the worst I ever lived through and I'm old.

Love the Green Biz likes this.
  10. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Silver Member

will there be an increase in the deductions per mile?