Trunk deteriorating, saveable?

Discussion in 'Fertilizers, Pesticides and Diseases' started by Hudson03, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Hudson03

Hudson03 LawnSite Member

A buddy of mine called saying he notice the bottom of his tree trunk was turning black. I have never seen something like this at the base of the tree before with the exception of some knucklehead constantly hitting it with a weedeater. Any idea/solutions?

A76FD86F-2A94-42C0-BC00-F882C1AF1980.jpeg

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

A chainsaw should end its misery

knox gsl and Wye Oak Tree like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Hudson03

Hudson03 LawnSite Member

Must be a very popular arborist in your area

4. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

What kind of tree?
    What does the canopy look like?

5. Wye Oak Tree

Wye Oak Tree LawnSite Platinum Member

Looks like it has a black fungus. Plus half the bark is removed from the bottom. It's toast.

The weedeater didn't help, but it may have had the fungus already.

6. OP
    OP
    Hudson03

Hudson03 LawnSite Member

Canopy looks good, leaves have been yellow since they bloomed from what he said. Bark falls right off at the bottom, initial guess is fungus but no idea how. Irrigates twice a week with MP nozzles and a quick estimate puts him at under an inch of water.

Possibly, but I’ve witnesses a few trees get damaged from install that bounced back and really looked no different, granted higher up on trunk. One was an irrigation job we had and the company hired someone else for landscaping. Tree strap slipped, shredded the trunk about 8” and took a good chunk along with it and is alive and thriving today

7. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just throwing this out there. Lightning hit?

Patriot Services likes this.
  8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Get rid of the grass at the base, put some mulch down, keep grass away. Try fertilizing the tree, maybe some Agri-Fos would help, at least keep the tree healthier. I'd do a systemic insecticide too

9. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd say that something (riding mower?) ran into it a long time ago. Leading up to a lot of dead wood tissue and a trunk canker.
    Tree is not long for this world.....

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Its coming down. Question, is it a danger to house or utilities? It may seem stable until a good storm blows through. Lightning takes out a lot of trees around here. Ive lost a few palms in my yard that took hits.