1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Try to sell accounts or just drop them?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thomaslawn, Jun 9, 2008.

1. thomaslawn

thomaslawn LawnSite Member

I have 6 accounts that are no longer worth my time or an employees time servicing. Due to the spike in gas prices I am cutting out all customers not located within a certain distance from the office. They are all good paying and loyal customers but after an audit I realized they are not profitable.

The question is; should I attempt to sell the accounts or simply call and let them know I can no longer provide the service?

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I just went through this exact thing last month. I dropped seven accounts in northeast Raleigh to focus my efforts in the southern half of Raleigh and Cary. It was over $1300/month and I couldn't be happier.

What I did was give them to a friend and fellow LCO who lives on that side of town. I didn't want to just drop the customers since some of them had been with me several years. I introduced him to the customers and went over what all I had been doing for them and then they were his. :)

If he gets any requests for work on my side of town, he'll forward that information to me. That part may work out or it may not but I still think this was one of the best moves I've made all year. :waving: