Trying it out.

Higgins909

LawnSite Member
So I originally lived up in Indiana on a 1 acre lot and my dad had 2 ride ons and a big walk behind. Around 8-9 I was using a push mower and doing the perimeter around the house. Around 10 I was finally able to use one of the ride ons. When I was about 15 we moved down to Texas on a small lot. We had some kind of small self propelled walk behind. We just called them powered push mowers. Moved again to another small lot, then moved again and I was living with my dad on a 1/2 or 3/4 acre lot and he bough a cub ride on.

I'm now living with my mother as my dad moved a couple hours away. I was saving for a house and mid 2022 was the goal, but the market is absolutely insane, and has killed that idea. My mother hires a guy, but he seems to be tri-weekly. So if I go in there 1-1.5 weeks after he comes, I think its ok and better for the lawn.

The last month I've been buying a mix of new and used tools. I just got a new 21" Honda powered push mower. I'm wanting to mow my mothers lawn a few times and then offer to mow some neighborhood lawns for free explaining what I'm trying to achieve. If I decide it's no good, I have the tools for my own lawn, when I get my house.

I've always kind of wanted to have my own business. My first thing was a Internet Service Provider, then it went to home cnc shop, but neither of those are remotely feasible. Then I was asking my mother 1000's of questions about our lawn guy and started to run numbers and research. It seems like something I could possibly pull off, so I'm trying it out.

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Bronze Member
Hi and welcome to Lawnsite stick around and ask more questions, theres plenty of help and good advice here. Instead of offering to mow someones lawn for free work up a sales gimmick where your mowing lawns for 20 bucks as part of learning the time and work involved. Tell people your eager to hear feedback about the service. You will have to learn how to sell and communicate with people and this will get your foot in the door so to speak. Make sure you let the guy mowing your moms yard what you are doing and you might get some help from him. Good Luck.

OP
H

Higgins909

LawnSite Member
Hi and welcome to Lawnsite stick around and ask more questions, theres plenty of help and good advice here. Instead of offering to mow someones lawn for free work up a sales gimmick where your mowing lawns for 20 bucks as part of learning the time and work involved. Tell people your eager to hear feedback about the service. You will have to learn how to sell and communicate with people and this will get your foot in the door so to speak. Make sure you let the guy mowing your moms yard what you are doing and you might get some help from him. Good Luck.
Thank you for the welcome. The only problem I have with asking for money, is that I do not have a DBA or LLC or anything. With that I also do not have General Liability Insurance. I haven't worked out how to take payments/make contracts yet. Once things take off, I plan to get them. Are you saying I should work under the table for a bit?

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
Don't mow for free unless you have no idea what you're doing and just need practice!

You can charge people and declare it as miscellaneous income if you wish.

Whether you're charging or not you're still responsible for any damages to property and persons.

OP
H

Higgins909

LawnSite Member
Don't mow for free unless you have no idea what you're doing and just need practice!

You can charge people and declare it as miscellaneous income if you wish.

Whether you're charging or not you're still responsible for any damages to property and persons.
Haha, that's kinda where I am. I do need practice. Yesterday was the first time I mowed in about 2 years and before that I was never a pro. Just had to make the grass shorter. I wouldn't say I have no idea, but I could use some practice and more knowledge. Especially line trimming as I've only done it maybe 3 times. I really need to figure out how to work it around parked cars, because suburbia.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Haha, that's kinda where I am. I do need practice. Yesterday was the first time I mowed in about 2 years and before that I was never a pro. Just had to make the grass shorter. I wouldn't say I have no idea, but I could use some practice and more knowledge. Especially line trimming as I've only done it maybe 3 times. I really need to figure out how to work it around parked cars, because suburbia.
Plenty of youtube videos showing how to run a trimmer accounting for the direction of spin and how to minimize debris going where you don't want it.

Top Forums