Trying to decide on a trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Stanton Lawn Services, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Stanton Lawn Services

Stanton Lawn Services LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I currently have a 77x12 PJ utility trailer that has been in my family for 13+ years. I am looking to upgrade to a tandem axle 83" with a side gate but I can not decide if I should go 14' (will fit in most garages in the future) or should I go 16-18'? I just graduated high school so I don't have my own house or shop yet. Also, are the 5200lb axles worth the upgrade? I currently have a 60" Ztrak that I plan to get a bagger for soon and want to get a Deere W36M next spring. I have a 2010 Silverado 1500 Z71 if that helps.

Screenshot_20190616-090617_Chrome.jpg

2. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

Well, you can never have too much axle under a trailer. If your your other option is 2 3500lb axle's, get the upgrade. Everything will be bigger and stronder. Just so you know either way you will need a DOT medical card to run either combination because the tabs on your truck & trailer will add up to over 10,000lbs. You may also need DOT numbers and company lettering on the door depending on how laws are enforced on your area. Also make sure both axles have brakes on them and get a brake controller hooked up in your truck.

Cam15 and TrainingWheels like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Stanton Lawn Services

from Kansas

As long as you don't have any decals on your truck or trailer, I haven't heard any stories of guys around me having issues. I'm also able to hit my whole mowing route and go to my mulch supplier without going by any of the police hotspots. I'd have it tagged and insured

Cam15 and TrainingWheels like this.
  4. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to many house garage doors will accommodate an 83" wide trailer. Plus your tires will be over a foot wider track than the truck, so you'll be dropping the right side off the pavement frequently and bouncing your equipment. Also tire scraping the curb, resulting in more frequent tire replacement and axle maintenance. Just be mindful of those things when towing a wider and longer trailer.

sjessen likes this.
  5. Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a client that's a truck driver and he says the bigger the trailer the more easy it is to back up the trailer.

sjessen, JLSLLC, DXN1EL and 2 others like this.
  6. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing you will always say is I should have gotten a bigger trailer... but does your neighborhood have a hoa that restricts trailer parked out front or in driveway?

JLSLLC and Cam15 like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Stanton Lawn Services

from Kansas

Right now my dad and I keep the current trailer we got either in the driveway or in our back yard we got a cluster of older pine trees that it fits between. If I upgraded, I would likely keep that trailer in my moms parents garage (double door, just need to check depth of it) at least until I got some land and a shop in a few years

8. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

I have that PJ trailer 18 footer , 9998 lbs , 16 in tires with tool box . I love it . Carried pick up trucks , skid steer , mini ex , ford van , Great trailer

JLSLLC likes this.
  9. Brushtrooper

Brushtrooper LawnSite Member

I would get the upgrade. Check your Ks CDL requirements. If you have to have a cdl for towing a trailer that is greater than 10,000 lbs,then you tell your dealer to register the trailer at 9,990 lbs when they register the MSO. PJ will send a new VIN sticker showing the new GVWR for the trailer. Most other trailer MFG will do this but your dealer needs to contact the MFG for new Vin sticker, but this MUST be done when the trailer is new. It can be done after the fact but its more of a PITA. The only real advantage that I see is you get more springs and 6 hole rims with 15” tires. In case you did not know, the springs for the 5200 lb suspension is a direct bolt in and can replace the 3500 lb springs. You can always upgrade your trailer tires to 8 or 10 ply 15”ers. I have one customer that loves the PJ ready rail setup for his business. I think he just bought trailer #5 from us.

10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

My pj came with 16 inch tires I can upgrade the tires when these wear out 2 LT Truck Tires