Lawn Care Forum banner

Trying to under bid but not go under

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Green Masters 
#1 ·
I was offered the opportunity to bid on a church and a parsonage together. It is already being maintained by a company which the church is unsatisfied with. Is it wrong to ask what there price range or budget is? I need the job but there is a line where I have to draw the line in-able to make a profit and pay for equipment.

#2 ·
If the company currently servicing the property is shoddy and the potential client wants better service, why does your price have to be lower than his? Perhaps his low price is teh reason he is doing poor work. Price accordingly, and let your quality speak to the price. Churches aren't poor, they can afford, and have budgeted, for maintenance.

#4 ·
OK. But if you were priced at the same level, or higer, and provided better service. You would not be considered too high.

Or is it that they don't value the work we do and believe that they are overpaying? Quality work costs money.

#9 ·
Just bid on what you need to have to do the job correctly. It may be higher than the other guy but if the quality is better they will pay. I bid on a cemetary where the church was complaining about the quality of some other company and asked me for a bid. I was higher by only about $20.00 and they still gave the job to the other guy. Sometimes the dollar is more important than the quality of work. They called me again this year for a bid and I gave them a copy of last years bid and I will see what happens.

#11 ·
Sell them on the quality of your work. You might say something to them like this " I know that the other company was probably charging you a bit less but we will take very good care of your property and you will be able to depend on us" I think that you will be surprised at how well selling quality works - as long as you back up your promises.

#12 ·
Very true. We mow a church and we are dependable and we still charge accordingly. They like our service and do not even accept other bids. They are happy with my service and I am happy to serve them. Always charge what you need to charge to make a profit or you will fail. If you have been mowing for a while and you feel inclined to discount a church then do so. It is up to you.

#13 ·
What is the best way to get a bid in on a church? Is it best to just stop by and see if they would take a bid?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.