Tubes in Scag Turf Tiger Tires

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
This past week I have two big tire units come in with holes that were near edge of tread. Both tires were practically new and plugs wouldn't hold. Has anybody run tubes? Any tips on putting the tube in?

Screenshot (76).png

The obvious shortcoming of tubes is one screw takes it out. Anybody got any recommendation on tube repair kit.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
i would try a mixture of plugs and slime first. that way any new holes can be repaired quickly. with a tube a repair takes a lot of time since you have to remove the wheel and tire to get the tube out and patch it.

i once had a big hole in the sidewall of a tire and i used 10 plugs and slime to keep it from leaking. it held for years until the tread wore out.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
This past week I have two big tire units come in with holes that were near edge of tread. Both tires were practically new and plugs wouldn't hold. Has anybody run tubes? Any tips on putting the tube in?

View attachment 385650

The obvious shortcoming of tubes is one screw takes it out. Anybody got any recommendation on tube repair kit.
Have it vulcanized at a tire repair facility?

OP
E

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
i would try a mixture of plugs and slime first. that way any new holes can be repaired quickly. with a tube a repair takes a lot of time since you have to remove the wheel and tire to get the tube out and patch it.

i once had a big hole in the sidewall of a tire and i used 10 plugs and slime to keep it from leaking. it held for years until the tread wore out.
I put in 3 and it seemed like I was just tearing the tire...But I will load it with slime and put in more plugs.

OP
E

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
I put the tire on the backup machine .......holding some air. Maybe enough to get it off the trailer.

KIMG1352.JPG

I must have got into thorns there are 3 other holes.......should have left this small hole on edge and loaded it with slime.:cry:

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Look, in my not so humble opinion ( and just about any tire shops ) the absolute best tire plugs are Safety Seal brand, hands down ! Used em in my long haul Peterbilt to my short haul lawn mower. In fact, it was a mobile tire guy that came out to fix my trucks flat that turned me on to them.
They're reddish brown and stringy and very tacky. Safety Seal puts out a nice kit, or you can just get the plugs.
For most mower tires i cut the plug in half and get two plugs.
They work !