1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tulips

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Smallaxe, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone have any special advice about planting tulips in the wooded roadside ditchline? Haven't done tulips - ever!!!
    This is shade and lots of roots will inorganic sandy soil.

Any tips would be appreciated.

2. Smallaxe

I'll try a gardening forum...

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Roadside is a bad place for tulips they are very fragile, even a windy day will destroy them. The wind blows the petals apart. At least that has been my experience here in Az. They are expensive so you need a lot to make an impression. They are also best viewed up close unless you are just buying the solid colors. They have to get some sun too at least 4-5 hours I would imagine.

As far as planting goes you want to plant them in the fall and you would be wise to add some compost and bone meal. Dig a hole twice as big as the bulb and mix your compost and bone meal together for the back fill medium. I would also consider topdressing the whole area with compost once complete. Light topdressing!! you don't want to add 2"-3" of additional material for the bulbs to have to push through.

4. Smallaxe

Thanks, AZ.
    I don't think they will get any more than 15 minutes of direct sunlight at a time as the sun passes between trees.
    I was afraid I would hear what I did, in that, nothing about the proposed planting is the least bit favorable. Appreciate it.