Tundra Sound System (and other Toyota’s too)

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
Just added a sound system to my 2020 Tundra from “TacoTunes” out of Texas (I think). I paid. They shipped everything. And it was as simple as can be to put in! They have dozens of videos of the step by step procedures for each aspect of the installation. They only do Toyota vehicles as far as I know. If it kinks out on me I’ll come back and speak on it. But so far, bang for your buck, this was a pretty kick a$$ deal. Sounds amazing!!

Bitches_Brew

LawnSite Gold Member
Just added a sound system to my 2020 Tundra from “TacoTunes” out of Texas (I think). I paid. They shipped everything. And it was as simple as can be to put in! They have dozens of videos of the step by step procedures for each aspect of the installation. They only do Toyota vehicles as far as I know. If it kinks out on me I’ll come back and speak on it. But so far, bang for your buck, this was a pretty kick a$$ deal. Sounds amazing!!

If I didn't have the JBL system w/sub, that is what I would use. Thumbs Up

OP
D

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
Do you like the jbl system? I thought it was horrifically terrible when I was searching for my truck, but I was coming from an Alpine system in my last truck that really rocked. We were between the Limited model and my current SR5. At the time of my purchase, the Limit truck had the jbl and a moon roof (maybe leather too but I didn’t want leather or a moon roof). So the plan was to save the 4K on the limited up charge for stuff I didn’t even want, and add a system for about 2k (this one was 1300 and a few hours of my time - kind of enjoyed doing too!)

sound/music is so subjective though right?

Bitches_Brew

LawnSite Gold Member
Do you like the jbl system? I thought it was horrifically terrible when I was searching for my truck, but I was coming from an Alpine system in my last truck that really rocked. We were between the Limited model and my current SR5. At the time of my purchase, the Limit truck had the jbl and a moon roof (maybe leather too but I didn’t want leather or a moon roof). So the plan was to save the 4K on the limited up charge for stuff I didn’t even want, and add a system for about 2k (this one was 1300 and a few hours of my time - kind of enjoyed doing too!)

sound/music is so subjective though right?

I have a 2010 so it might not be the same, but I think it's plenty for me once you dial it in. The quality of the sound is good. If you are used to heavier bass it might not be for you seeing how it only has an 8in. sub and not very high watts.

I like leather because it's easier to clean and heated seats are awesome. I use the sunroof often. I do think the cloth seats in my 04 4runner are more comfortable than the leather ones they offered that year, but my Tundra's are fine.

Does yours have the roll-down rear window?

OP
D

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
I looked into several options around here. My son actually paid to have an amp and two JL Audio subs with custom box installed in his civic hatchback. Was thinking of taking it to him, but my kids system,while decent, was a pita to have done (changed appointments, had the car for a few days, poor communication, and kind of expensive. $1700 for all that) after he and I had already done 4 Polk door speakers (of avg quality) on our own, so he was at about 2K.

I knew (well, I guess I suspected) delays with his guy would be likely, and there was just no way to absorb that when I had to mow, right? Plus, His sub actually cuts back the power when he gets bumping too. I just wasn’t confident I’d be happy.

TacoTunes had a few suspect reviews, but they were all during Covid basically. I looked past all of those reviews. The rest were pretty good.

my system can do way more than I’ll ask it to do (most of the time :) )

it was the right choice for me I think. I was feeling confident after installing a super nice system in our Cobalt, and I’m glad I did it. YouTube is a game changer for a guy like me lol

Bitches_Brew

LawnSite Gold Member
I looked into several options around here. My son actually paid to have an amp and two JL Audio subs with custom box installed in his civic hatchback.

Yeah, when I was a teenager I loved that stuff and even bought a system before a car....used a battery charger and hooked it up in in my room until I acquired one. :p

Now (after using the mower all day) I don't want to listen to anything loud between jobs. Usually it's just the creak of the trailer and wind (if I'm not using the AC) :walking:

OT....back in the day I helped my buddy cut out and seal his 94 s-10 so the bed was open to the cab. He filled the bed with 4 15in. kicker comps. on top of numerous other speakers/tweets in the cab. It was stupid loud.:dizzy:

Top Forums