1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Turbo Turf or Easy Lawn Hydroseeders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mike9497, May 20, 2003.

1. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

well i need a new hydro seeder for next season because the one i have is old and run down.plus its very small 150 gallon im looking in the 3 to 900 gallon range i looked at the turbo turfs and the easy lawn hydros.anyone own any of the two? anyone have a seeder besides those two that you like? any help would be great guys thanxs

2. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

Poly tank units are really only good for smaller / quick jobs... results are nothing compared to the 'Finn' type, metal tank, auger systems... because, these units can mix heavier wood mulches.

The poly tank / jet systems can really only mix a cellulose mulch mix well enough to blow.

If your gonna blow hydroseed WOOD mulch is a must. (IMO)

3. worthbrown

worthbrown LawnSite Member

I have a 600 gal easy lawn, and it works really well. If I had it to do over again, I would get the bigger engine and pump setup (on an easy lawn or turbo turf). I also adapted mine to have a "bale buster" type jet. This is an option offered on the Turbo Turf system. I go to the discussion board of the turbo turf website alot, and they have good information. I would recommend getting a demo from both and see which you like the best. A jet agitation may not be as good as a finn, but I have never had a problem, and I can spray 1-1.5 acres a day by myself. Hope this helps.

4. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

worthbrown

thank you it does help me out a bit.

5. Corby Dieu

Corby Dieu LawnSite Member

Turbo Turf is a scam.

6. windmill

windmill LawnSite Member

"Turbo Turf is a scam."

Now THAT has got to really help in making your decision easy. After that scathing explaination I would NEVER buy a Turbo Turf unless I was going to snowplow with it.

7. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

Could you back that up in court ?

Turbo Turf has installed Millions of SQ feet of turf hydroseeding.
    Ray at Turbo Turf is one of the most helpful and honest guys in the industry . Hes helped me many times , and we have a home built unit .

Hydromachines can do a nice job that makes customers very happy .

Mechanical machines can mix heavier loads , and they make customers very happy
    There are some nice machines out there Finn , Bowie , Easylawn
    Turbo Turf etc.

8. worthbrown

worthbrown LawnSite Member

I agree. As I said in an earlier post, I have an Easy Lawn unit. I did some retrofitting that is actually similiar to the setup on the Turbo Turf unit. Ray at Turbo Turf has helped me a great deal as well. Turbo Turf has very helpful info on their website about the hydroseeding industry and hydroseeders. If you have a problem with a specific Turbo Turf unit, I would be willing to bet they would take care of it. I normally just laugh when people bash products with no facts to back up their claim, but I could not let this go.

9. Corby Dieu

Look at their low application rates and their bull ---- about how much damn money you can make. Im going to say I f***** up and bought one of their machines. When looking at the bussiness I had narrowed my decision down to a Finn or TurboTurf, I was conned into thinking the cheaper machine with less parts would be better. Now I am about to purchase a real machine built for hydroseeding/mulching. My TT has been modified to act as a sprayer/nurse tank.

10. Corby Dieu

Also I am not saying that people who use these machines doesnt do quality work, I am sure many do. With the machines lower capablities and the way they are marketed many get into it as a get rich quick scam. Also think about this jet agitated anyone can go down to the local co-op and build one. Mechanical agitation many parts made and designed by the manufacturer. I know I have pissed some people off in this forum but its just my nature(nothing personal).