• CA Lessons: Landscaping To Reduce Wildfire Risk
    While there are no ways to fireproof a property, there are strategies to design and maintain landscapes for reduced vulnerability. Click here to learn more.

TURF MAG

HOMER

LawnSite Gold Member
There was a real good article in Turf Magazine this month concerning home office deductions. The tax laws have changed this year so it might be worth looking in to.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

Homer

Richard Martin

LawnSite Fanatic
I saw that. Home office deductions are something I avoid like the plague. If there are 2 things that are sure to get you audited it's home office deductions and claiming sub-contractors. While I have no fear of an audit I really don't have the time.

OP
H

HOMER

LawnSite Gold Member
So what your saying is this might be a trap??????????read the article, take the deduction and still get audited, I hope not. I need all I can get and I qualify per the guidelines. Have no fear, remember, it's a kinder, gentler IRS now, more user friendly.

I hope

Homer

scottb

LawnSite Senior Member
How can I subscribe to this Turf Mag or any magazines for that. I signed up for a year free when I bought my Toro but still havent recevied a copy after 3 months and I dont rember the name. But I am interested in anything to do with the business as I push towards fulltime. So any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Charles

Moderator, Friend, Angel
I take the home/office deduction. Now you tell me its a trap LOL. I wont be sleeping to well from now on. I have a room that I just use for paperwork. You can't even have a tv in that room for it to qualify. I use my garage just to store and repair equipment. Its a write off too Like everyone we need all the right offs we can get

OP
H

HOMER

LawnSite Gold Member
No I didn't say that it was a trap. Well I did, but I was being sarcastic. I fully intend to take the deduction this year and will send pictures with my tax form if I have to!

As for Turf and other magazines, do a search on "Magazines" or "subscriptions", I think either one will give you links to a mess of them!

Homer

thefarmer4

LawnSite Member
Richard Martin

I've deducted sub-contractors for about 4 years now I ha.ve not been audited.

As far as home office deductions I don't have anything that qualifies at this time.

But if I did I would claim it. If they want to audit you they are going to do it. Why give them more $$ than whats is required.

Greenkeepers

LawnSite Senior Member
That was a good article, the laws have loosened compared to past years. You can have a TV in there and the article also says that you can have "other furniture" in the room..