1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Turf Management Courses

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Geej, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Geej

Geej LawnSite Member

I am interested in expanding my lawn care business to turf management. So far all I can find in Rhode Island is four year degree programs which I don't have time for. I am looking for a more simple program in the area. Any information on this subject would be helpful. Thanks.

2. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

i dont know anything about rhode island, but there is a continuing education program online through the uiversity of georgia. ill look it up, and post the address for you.

3. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

4. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

has any of you took that home study class that ohiolawnguy posted about?
    anthony:blob3:

5. Geej

Geej LawnSite Member

Thanks so much for the reply. I am interested to see if anyone else has tried this course. Looks worth a try. I'll post some further information if I try it. Thanks again.

6. G & S LANDSCAPING SERVICE

G & S LANDSCAPING SERVICE LawnSite Member

Yes currently studying the Certified Turfgrass Professional course from the univversity of georgia . Alot of great information to learn. I am a custom applicator in ohio, also and working on taking the C.L.T. -certified landscape techician test this summer, in this business you canot have enough training ,you have to stand out,be and act professional.

7. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

g&s is it a lot of work?
    are you pressured in doing it each night?
    i know some of those home cources are a lot of crap,if you dont make the dead line they will drop you.
    ant

8. G & S LANDSCAPING SERVICE

G & S LANDSCAPING SERVICE LawnSite Member

ant- Yes it is alot of studying you are given two tests six mounth apart, at a colleage or university in your area, witch you have to make arrangements for, I study for a hour each day/night when i can find the time ,you have to disipline your self to do it, We. have a 11 mo.old ,so i usually study when she goes to bed. I feel this course is worth the money ,I too had doughts and did some rechearch to find out if this was on the up and up ,I AM VERY PLEASED SO FAR AND WOULD RECOMEND IT.

9. Geej

Geej LawnSite Member

Does the completion of the course license you to treat lawns in your state? Or is there a separate test you must take in each state for that certification? Also does it cost extra to set up the testing in your area? Thanks for all your input.

10. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion distance learning is the way of the future. There are several Mid west universities offering Turf Managment courses relavent to the Ohio valley area. You can not learn enough and I'm sure we could all benifit from any course. However they do require a great deal of self-disipline and they do seem to be expensive when compared to on site classes. I am currently involved with a distance learning course from Cornell in grafting and budding. When I signed up for the course they said it would take 8 to 12 hours a week of work. I find it to take me 15 to 20 hours a week with the reading,assesments and lab exercises. Yor must have a great deal of self-disipline. If on site classes are not an option, I would recomend the Master Gardner program. It is offered in all 50 states by the Dept. of Ag. It is only about $70.00 and covers all aspects of horticulture including Turf managment. In addition you will build a relationship with your County Extension Agent that you will find invaluable in the future. It too is no cake walk but you will get more reading material than you can carry and find out how to get the answers to ANY question anyone may ask you. Just my .02