Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a search, but was looking for some recent insight to either University of Georgia or Purdue University's Turf Management courses.

Has anyone recently or currently enrolled in one of these courses? Are there any other creditable courses out there?
Should I save the $300 and just hit the library?

Earlier this year I received my chem app license and know now I need more education.

Any help?
MATT

·
Registered
93 Posts
The piece of paper will be worthless unless you are trying to work for someone else. If you are self employed - no value at all.

But, there is nothing wrong with education! The only problem is that education and real-world experience are two different things. The education will give you confidence to BS your way through many difficult situations until your experience is great enough to just tell it like it is. Text books are correct, but the context is difficult to grasp until you are out doing it.

You have to see problems in the real world to see how the same issue can manifest itself in many different ways.

Go take the course. I took a week long one in Maryland 10 years ago. At the time I learned a lot. Now the info I learned seems so basic - but you gotta go through it all - no way around it!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Gotta disagree with Eric - the paper is not worthless - it can put on a business card, copy of the contract, etc. You are correct hands on experience is the way to go. But maybe a class will help him from having to "learn by mistakes".

Just a thought

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am wanting to take some courses as well, mainly to get my chem app license but im not sure how to do it?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Originally posted by jaredslawncare
I am wanting to take some courses as well, mainly to get my chem app license but im not sure how to do it?
Do you have a local college or state extention office? State could give you information. Good for you - will let you extend your business & know what your doing

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info! I spent an additional few hours this morning digging up more threads that I had not seen before. Over whelming responses recommended the course, so I went ahead and ordered it earlier this afternoon.

MATT

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
What about Michigan State University's Turfgrass Management program? They graduate tons of people that go on to successful turfgrass careers. I thought about it for a while. They have a golf course program, a program for stadium turf management, and then landscaping/lawnmowing business programs.

:D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Originally posted by walker-talker
Thanks for the info! I spent an additional few hours this morning digging up more threads that I had not seen before. Over whelming responses recommended the course, so I went ahead and ordered it earlier this afternoon.

MATT
Good for you!! People with your attitude is what will keep this industry strong & growing

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
I've taken the University of Georgia's turf management course. It was worth the $300 to me and I'd recommend it. Nonetheless, there are probably others out there as well that are good. Forestry Suppliers Inc has a few books that look pretty good. I think there web site is forestry-suppliers.com

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The "IN dept of agriculture" has nothing to do with pesticide licensing or education in Indiana. Education is handled by Purdue Pesticide Programs. Regulation is by the Office of the Indiana State Chemist; start there at OISC Pesticide Section.

For other states, check links for education and regulation at Pesticide Regulation in USA.

Books for the general public in libraries are usually no use to help you raelly learn pesticide and fertilizer use. You made a good move, Matt.

·
Banned
4,396 Posts
I took the UGA/PLCAA course several years ago. It's home study with a few exams you take in a proctored environment or at UGA. My final was at UGA. Good overview. Great price. I would back it up with more books if you plan on doing applications. There is so much to know that is regionally based and depends on knowing which brand names to buy.

And having that "PLCAA certified turfgrass manager" on one's brochures, ads, business cards, and wallet card helps get customers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.