1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Turf Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Michael Fronczak, Apr 26, 2001.

1. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

One of my customers has a contuial problem with thatch build up. I had a soil test done, said pH was off, aeriated in fall, deyathched in spring, treated that, mowed with a bagger last year, & used organic fert(to help build up soil), thios was all last year. The lawn still built up thatch over last summer, I'm at a loss, never had this happen. I called co-op extension, they told me to try core aeration, then topdress with pelitized compost, I think it will be a had sell, and I don't know it will work. Any ideas??? thanks in advance.

2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

aeration is your best bet ....if the soil is packed ...all your water & fert is laying on top is ....not reaching the roots and the lawn in growing into the decaying organic matter ....top dressing is a big help (I'm a southern boy but I cut grass in Va for 10 years)
    http://www.allsands.com/Gardening/killinglawntha_zmz_gn.htm

3. ADMServices

ADMServices LawnSite Member

you might wanna try a product like "re-new" or "lawn restorer" to help break down the thatch build up. hope this helps

4. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

Firstly, thatch will not disappear overnight! If the buildup is severe, it may take several seasons of concerted effort. I would advise your customer to aerate several times a year, and keep up with the program that you have started (Which sounds good , by the way).

Alan