Lawn Care Forum banner

Turf Tiger 2 31 DFI Vs 35 Vanguard

11K views 51 replies 12 participants last post by  Ridin' Green 
#1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a new TT2 within the next couple weeks and was looking for input between these 2 units. In my area, the 31 costs 2k more than the 35 b4 taxes. My biggest concern is fuel consumption if I buy the 35. Just wandering if anyone had comparable gph on both units. Was hoping to see the 37 Efi briggs offered this spring but dealer said engine choices stayed the same besides the diesel. Thanks for the replys.

Also, thought about purchasing a 61 vride with the 25hp kaw. If anyone has experience with this unit, please chime in as well.

#5 ·
I own a TT2 with the 31dfi lc and it is an awesome mower. I ran mine empty last summer and monitored how much gas I put in it for two weeks (about 60 hours I think) and it used right at 1.25 gph. The vanguard will use between 1.75 (extremely light duty mowing) and 2.25 ( Heavy mowing) That's $750 savings (gas @ 2.50$ a gallon) every 400 hours. In three years the Kawasaki will start making you money. Those numbers were in the middle of heavy growth season as well I didn't check it late in the season but it was using less fuel probably around 1.1 gph. If I had to do it over again I'd go with the kawasaki every time. I mow a lot of rough yards some bi-weekly and I only wanted more power once or twice when we got 8 inches of rain in the middle of July and Crab grass took over one of my big yards. The Kawasaki is just a smooth quiet motor that is really comfortable to ride in the hot months because it pulls the heat away from your back instead of throwing it on it like an air cooled does.

#6 ·
I have 2 TT'S with the 35hp Vanguard. Both have been excellent, both have around 1,000 hours give or take. I would highly recommend that engine. GPH averages 1.8.

I can't comment on the Kawi DFI GPH as I don't and never will own one. I don't trust the big Kawi's. Kawi 29 hp and below have been fairly decent but the over 30 Kawi crowd has a history of issues. All you have to do is search this board.

#16 ·
It's not a big block like the fx921 and 1000 which have had issues
What problems have the most recent FX921V engines had? I have one on my 2016 Z960M and the manufacturing date on the engine in Nov 2015. So, mine is one of the most recent FX921V engines. Not sure what if any changes they would have made between Nov 2015 up to now.

Just curious how far back any reported problems go for the FX921V specifically. If I'm correct, I think the current FX921V was introduced in 2014, right? I think this same engine might have been around longer than 2014 of course, but I think that was before they started testing them to certify the exact HP and give it a more accurate rating (some other brands still might be overrating their HP since they're not tested to the same standard): http://kawasaki-criticalpower.com/engines/fx/fx921v

#30 ·
I have owned both and the 31 is much better. the power difference is minimal between the 2 but the kawi burns 1.1 gph compared to the vanguards 2.1gph. The kawi runs much cooler and quieter as it is a liquid cooled engine. you won't feel the heat on your back with the kawi unlike the vanguard.

#38 ·
I'm hoping so. Ive come to terms that it's gonna use more fuel but also gonna have that 4 h.p advantage. I've never owned a fuel injected mower. So I decided to stick with the basics with something I can prob work on if needed. My other units are Kawasaki but air cooled carb motors.

#51 ·
Well I've only put 3 hrs on it so far. It's definitely alot different than my walkbehinds. It's faster no doubt. Still trying to figure out the "straight stripes". The 35 h.p is a beast. I did manage to land my 1st scratch on the deck where it rubbed a light pole as I was mowing. I'm used to the deck in front of you rather than under you. I'm happy though. Our mowing season is really just starting. Monday will be our 1st day running a full crew and mowing all day. Hoping to cut some time and see how it shines! Thanks for asking

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.