Turf Tiger 2 or JD z994r (Have to decide by tomorrow morning)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by K&L Landscaping, May 7, 2019.

1. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Help me make this decision fellas, please! The TT2 is a 61" deck with a Briggs Vanguard 37hp EFI and the z994r is a 60" non MOD deck and will come with the tweels as an option.

I feel like the JD will last longer than the TT2 but I really want your input on this.

2. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you want diesel or gas? That will decide for you.
    Both great machines, difference is the fuel.

3. OP
    OP
    K&L Landscaping

Honestly, I've never had a diesel mower. I literally know nothing about them.

Could you give me the pros and cons of a diesel?

4. Scott Burrows

Scott Burrows LawnSite Member

I am a big fan of diesel everything. However, I don't put enough hours on my mower to justify the 3K+ difference in cost. I jumped from a 26HP Kohler EFI to the TTII with VG37 EFI and I love, love, love it.

5. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

Either way you win! What a great spot to be in. I am not savvy enough to know the torque numbers, but HP the vanguard destroys it. Deck flip a coin. That TT with the vanguard is kinda a dream machine. I’ve read a thread in here recently about that engine giving issues however (thread about “taking longer to start when warm”) or something like that. But that’s about the only bad thing I’ve read so would consider that an outlier vs the norm. I wouldn’t know to turn right to JD or left to scag when pulling out the driveway tomorrow morning if I was in your shoes. Diesels are just awesome though. Get that one. And do a great review on it please. Have you tested both? On your personal lawn or a few hours on route? Comfort i say the TT however hear the new JD suspension seat is phenomenal. Ah man. I’m just dreaming and typing. Sorry. Keep us posted on the result.

Cam15 likes this.
  6. Garrett1234

So what did you buy?

7. OP
    OP
    K&L Landscaping

Ugh!! I’m still trying decide. I just can’t make my mind up. The initial cost of the JD is $4500 more than the TT2. If I was being held at gun point and had to make a decision right this minute I’d choose the Scag

8. Jmartinps1

Jmartinps1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I own both a turf tiger 2 and John deere 930m. Imo the seven iron deck is superior to the velocity. The ride is better on scag.

Cam15 likes this.
  9. Garrett1234

A toss up and 4500 diff? Save the 4500 bucks. I’d take either obviously, but a diff in price by that much, that’s a decision maker right there for me.

10. Ron_Swanson

Ron_Swanson LawnSite Member

I love Deere but I’d get the Scag. The 994 is heavy and underpowered. I know, diesel and all and tons of torque. But I’d rather take more HP.

But if you have the option of a gas Deere I’d go that route.