Turf Tiger 2 or JD z994r (Have to decide by tomorrow morning)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by K&L Landscaping, May 7, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm really surprised by some of the comments. I was just sure the majority of you would say to get the 994. Decisions like this are so dang difficult for me.

Please, keep the opinions coming.

Cam15 likes this.
  2. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say get the 994. It WILL have enough power to handle the 60 inch deck with ease, and the fuel efficiency will be less than a gallon per hour. Also, it'll have a better resale value and will last longer.

3. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

You put em side by side and it’s a toss up. You put em side by side and stack 4500 bucks on the seat of the Turf Tiger it’s not longer a toss up.
    Same price I’d have a crazy hard time decision.
    JD you aren’t getting the big dog
    Scag: your getting the biggest cat in their Lineup

4. Scott Burrows

Scott Burrows LawnSite Member

Question is; will the diesel outperform the gas? Doubtful. My 72” TTII is using 1.28 GPH of regular gas. Will the diesel re-coop the 4500 difference over its life? If you trade it in will the resale recoop the balance. If it were a super duty pickup I would say absolutely. Proven that for the last 35 years. Not so sure that these tiny little engines share the same advantage.

5. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

My 997r has a 1.6 liter Yanmar engine, rated at 37.4 horsepower. It runs at about 3000 RPMS and the torque peaks around 100. It stops for nothing and in the thick of summer growth I'm getting 1 to 1.5 gallons per hour. My 1025r sub-compact tractor has the exact same engine as the 994r. Mowing with the 60 inch deck on that tractor I've calculated 0.7 - 0.9 gallons per hour. The engine has loads of torque and cuts basically everything I've thrown at it. These diesel engines vs their gas counterparts are not an apples to apples comparison in my opinion. I've run big block gassers and they are great, but not diesel great. The only downfall that I see is the upfront cost. If you can get past that, in my opinion, the diesel is the way to go. That being said, you won't make a wrong decision either way. I know this decision is tough for you because it's a huge purchase no matter what. Also, dealership service and parts availability is definitely a big issue.

Traveling Man likes this.
  6. 40acres76

40acres76 LawnSite Member

Don’t
    know if you’ve bought yet or not. I have no experience with the Scag. But I can tell you that I love the 994R. It rides great (I have the suspension seat) it’s quiet (IMO) and the deck does a great job. The engine has plenty of power & is great on fuel. When I was deciding what to get I read everything I could on this site and other places. Looked at different brands and when it came down to it I chose the JD because I have 2 dealers close to me in 2 directions. I’ve always received good service at both places and can get parts very quickly and easily. The compact JD tractor I’ve been using the last 16 years has a Yanmar diesel and it’s been a great engine so that’s the main reason I wanted the diesel. Don’t think you can go wrong with either choice.

Ridin' Green likes this.
  7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

What model is your JD compact?

8. 40acres76

40acres76 LawnSite Member

It’s a 750. Year model 1988. I bought it used I think it was in 2003 with maybe 3-400 hours on it. Came with the 261 grooming mower, 403 rotary cutter and a JD Blade.

Ridin' Green likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Decision has been made and...Turf Tiger 2 with 37hp EFI Vanguard.

Looked at both units very closely and quite honestly, the Scag is just built better. The attention to detail is superior and the Turf Tiger is a proven platform. I feel like with the 994r I would’ve been a beta tester in a sense. At 46 years of age this is probably the last mower I’ll have to buy.

I’ll post a few pics later. They have it in the back now putting the weight kit and striper on it.

ARN Greencare likes this.
  10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Another thing to consider is weight, while I don't know the exact #'s of these machines, diesels in general weigh 300+ more

11. Ron_Swanson

Ron_Swanson LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats man. Should be a beast.