1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Turf Tiger clutch removal

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Rookie, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Rookie

Rookie LawnSite Member

Been a while. Need advice on removing the clutch on my Turf Tiger. It's frozen on the shaft and prying and liquid wrench haven't worked. My dealer says to use heat, but he's known to give bad advice. I need a second opinion. The clutch is fine, but it has to come off to get to the engine which is not so fine. Will the heat damage the clutch? Thanks for the help.

2. hal

hal LawnSite Fanatic
    from Georgia

You took the nut off right? (Don't know not there) Put wedges in between the clutch and housing, undo engine bolts first, whack shaft with a BFH dont damage shaft, but wedge it tight, real tight, and whack!!!

AlohaMowing likes this.
  3. AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing LawnSite Senior Member

Get rid of the liquid wrench and use PB Blaster. It may require multiple applications, and and letting it sit overnight, or even a couple days, may free the clutch. Tapping on the shaft, or operating the engine, can help the PB Blaster to penetrate due to the vibrations.

But while PB Blaster can be pretty amazing, it does not always prevail. It is possible the cost of your engine repair has gone up by the cost of a new clutch.

4. JagT20N

JagT20N LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from will county Il

you can also try freeze in a can ( computer air duster upside down will wok also do not get it on your hands as a liquid as its -131 degrees ) and spray only the shaft not the hub and it will shrink the shaft a little and might break any mechanical sticking and not damage the wiring of the clutch .

5. prezek

prezek LawnSite Senior Member

I second the pb blaster and letting it sit overnight.

AlohaMowing likes this.
  6. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from South Jersey

All good advise.... vibration and PB Blaster I think is the key. I use my Beast, a SnapOn air hammer with a socket adapter.

The socket I use is a 12 point that is just alittle bigger then the shaft. The idea is to get the clutch to move, even if it's just a few MM up, combined with the Blaster. Put the socket up to the bottom of the clutch and give it a burp, come back later and do it again, and repeat many times over 3 or 4 hours. You can do that with a BFH and a socket too.....

But the tool that can make this job really easier are my Gearwrench indexing pry bars. I can angle the head to get in behind the clutch with plenty of room to use the handles and pry. 99 out of 100 trys they work...........

....but there was one time when I have had to use my biggest 3 jaw puller and destroy the clutch.....:eek:

Anyway, don't forget to put some anti seize on the shaft when you put the clutch back on, just incase there is a next time.Thumbs Up

AlohaMowing likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Rookie

Rookie LawnSite Member

It’s off. Took a combination of all the advice I received in this thread. A side note... I was using CRC penetrating oil. I’m not familiar with pb blaster. I’m sure it’s good and I plan to buy some, but no complaint with the CRC. When the clutch came off I noticed that the shaft was completely soaked, all the way around and from front to rear. Thanks to all who responded. This forum is a great resource.

AlohaMowing and Breezmeister like this.