Turf Tiger Leaving paths

2rkae

LawnSite Member
I have reviewed this website for months now seems to be alot of good info and decent people on here.I am fairly new to the lawncare business worked for one year helping a friend run his 85 accounts. I have picked up a few of my own. My friend runs dixie choppers can not say to much bad about them they get ran very hard and just keep going other than belts breaking. I have scag tt love it!! steering little stiff thought of removing stabilizers what do you think? My main problem TT leaves paths .I mow different angle every time I mow ,you can really tell it with a light snow . Paths all over the yards I mow with TT.I love my scag though. Would getting rear tires like on the dixie chopper help?or is there another tire out there? I know TT is heavy. and chopper is probably one of the lightest but there is no comparison in quality.but chopper does not leave paths.What about that green police commercial during superbowl.If U.S.A. keeps voting Democrats in office thats what it will be in the future. Thanks from a fellow conservative!!!!!

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
My guess is that what you are describing is due to the weight of the machine especially if the property was mowed when the ground was soft. You might try putting on wider tires but Scag has pretty much covered the bases on that. One other thought might be to check the tire pressure. If it is way too high(unlikely) it might cause to tire tread to be egg shaped.

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
The "rutting" condition you are describing is caused by two main factors, heavy ground pressure and soft ground. The Scag TT's are pretty heavy mowers from the start, so that doesn't help you. I'm already assuming that the drive tires on the mower are the 24x12-12 type. Those tires are already pretty wide and should help to reduce turf compaction. But if you mow when it is wet/damp out, it can cause almost any machine to create the ruts in the lawn.

You are already doing the right thing by switching mowing directions every week. Make sure your tires are the wider 24x12-12's, that way you will have less ground pressure. You could also try and lower the tire pressure a little bit, it may not help a lot but should be a little something to help. And finally, try to avoid mowing when the ground is wet or damp, if that means starting later in the day, then maybe starting 30min-60min later is what is needed.

FastMan

LawnSite Senior Member
Dear Mr. Conservative,

The rutting you're experiencing is not unique to Scag's. It's a byproduct of the growing weight of our rapidly escalating national debt. Soon 21 inch pushers are going to be rutting hard ground something fierce. :)

W.L.M.

LawnSite Senior Member
Well if you are mowing in between snowfalls, I would say any z is going to rut a lawn up, it is just a fact of life. When I ran tt's at my old mans company frequently they would stay on the trailer all morning while we used the walkbehinds until conditions were dry enough. Hate to say you are SOL on this but you cant make a Tiger tread like a kitten:D

MOHUSTLER

LawnSite Bronze Member
On the stearing issue you mentioned. Do NOT remove the scag dampeners. We are a dixie chopper and a scag dealer. They are just 2 different machines. If you do the scag will jerk side to side. And you wont be able to run a straight line if your life depended on it. I konw it seems like its stiff when you go from a DC with no dampeners to the scag with hard dampeners.

But what the stiff dampeners do is put lesss strain on the hydro pumps for slower smooth takeoffs, and prevent the spinout of the tires on takeoff. DC's are bad for the diviots where you turn. Scag is one of the few mowers I can make a turn with almost no torn up grass. Enjoy your scag!!

OP

2rkae

LawnSite Member
Thanks for all the info so far. I was curios about the flotation /ballon type tires on the chopper would it help some? I have seen some on TT before was that just for traction or do they help with a smoother ride and a softer footprint?Thanks for the info on the stabilizers I wil not experiment with them then. Thanks again......I do have the wide tires and run fairly low air pressure. I am curious in all the top brand of mowers where they weigh in at. I know scag is probably the heaviest built but does it weigh that much more than other top models?

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Thanks for all the info so far. I was curios about the flotation /ballon type tires on the chopper would it help some? I have seen some on TT before was that just for traction or do they help with a smoother ride and a softer footprint?Thanks for the info on the stabilizers I wil not experiment with them then. Thanks again......I do have the wide tires and run fairly low air pressure. I am curious in all the top brand of mowers where they weigh in at. I know scag is probably the heaviest built but does it weigh that much more than other top models?

The various manufacturers oftentimes list the specifications for the various models on their websites.

MOHUSTLER

LawnSite Bronze Member
The TT is the heaviest dry weight I have seen so far to date.

Top Forums