Turfco F15 Topdresser - width of the wheels? Fit on 4x8 flatbed trailer?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by vtx531, Nov 24, 2018.

1. vtx531

vtx531 LawnSite Member

I have a small harborfreight trailer. Looking at buying a turfco topdresser that is pretty far away and wondering if it will fit on my trailer. I think it will but maybe someone can confirm for me that the width of the tires is less than 48”? Thank you.

Maybe there is a chance it could even fit in the back of a 6.5’ pickup bed?

2. OP
    OP
    vtx531

vtx531 LawnSite Member

Well the answer is yes to the 4x8 trailer but I didn’t try the pickup bed.

3. Rick Engasser

Rick Engasser LawnSite Member

It will fit crossways on my equipment trailer which is 6.5' wide. There is still room for my tractor with mounted aerator and over seeder.

image.jpg

4. OP
    OP
    vtx531

vtx531 LawnSite Member

Nice setup - do you have any action pics or before/after the the topdresser? I bet the loader works nice for it.

5. Rick Engasser

I do have a video but I am having trouble attaching it. Here is a photo of it, it does a great job as long as the compost is not real wet. I built the wings for it so it can be loaded with the 4' bucket. 2 scoops to fill it. The second picture is topdressing with screened soil.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

6. OP
    OP
    vtx531

vtx531 LawnSite Member

Mechanical question... (I see you have a spare belt hanging so maybe you will be able to help)

I replaced all the chains on the unit I am rebuilding and I forgot to take a before pic of how it is routed under the rear cover. The parts list said the chain is 68 pitches (including master link) which I duplicated, but no matter what, the chain is too loose and the idler wont keep it tight.

Is this how yours looks? Any chance you could count the # of pitches (links or # of rivets) on your chain? I wonder if there is a typo in their parts list otherwise no reason it should be this loose.

B4134111-F023-4F9C-9419-06487EDCF2B3.jpeg

7. Rick Engasser

image.jpg
    Here is a photo of mine, I counted 34 links, 68 pins. You may want to remove a link and install a half link if the chain is too short.

8. Rick Engasser

I promote topdressing for troubled lawns as CAPTION- Core Aeration Plus Topdressing Improves Overseeding Naturally. If you have a new lawn that is on clay soil, this is a great combination.

image.jpg

9. OP
    OP
    vtx531

vtx531 LawnSite Member

EUREKA! I had the sprockets reversed...12 tooth on the brush and 13 tooth on the drive at the bottom...which also explains why my belts were seemingly too long.

That helped me so much thank you! Now somehow I’m going to need to reverse those sprockets and then it will throw off the tension on ALL the other chains underneath because they are based off the initial tension on the long double sprocket chain. :mechanic:

10. OP
    OP
    vtx531

vtx531 LawnSite Member

So switching th sprockets fixed the chain tension issue but it actually looks like it will make my belt issue worse. I have new belts (B55 and B35) as per the parts manual.

The problem I am having is when I move the engine forward to tighten up the belts, the reverse belt (B35) gets tight first before the longer belts. To the point where there is not enough adjustment in the cables to make up the difference.

The previous owner had B54 belts in there but parts manual specifies B55. Seems like I need a longer reverse belt or shorter forward and conveyor drive belts.

Did you have any issues with this?