Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are running 2 Scag Turf Tigers, 2001-52" and a 2002 60". Neither stripe worth a darn..... Am considering trying the Turflex system and would like to know if anyone has used it and your opinion of it.

Tried a roller system and the roller bent right away on rough lawns.

Please let me know your opinion before I spend $200 plus

Thanks,

Don Montross, Sr.

·
Registered
952 Posts
you can make one for $60.00.plate of steel or a pipe.some chain and a few bolts.thats what i did

·
Registered
177 Posts
Originally posted by mike9497
you can make one for $60.00.plate of steel or a pipe.some chain and a few bolts.thats what i did
ditto what he said, but I had a 3/8 inch steel rod, bought 20 bux worth of chain, cut it in 8 inch lengths, welded it on the rod, and u-bolted the rod to the rear axle. Works for me, but I did it mostly to disperse clippings into the grass as we have bermuda that doesnt stripe.
Norm

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm almost complete with turf tiger chain roller kit.I'm using 5/16 chain.The whole thing weighs 50lbs,it bolts into rr pulley cover with existing hdw.Its pretty much complete,just need to fine tune and paint.I will post pics when complete.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your responses, is greatly appreciated. Lawnsmith, I sure am glad to see that your Scag's stripe so nice but ours do not. What can I say. Is embarassing when a customer tells you that they like their neighbors lawn that was done with an Exmark. We are trying, like the durability of Scag but cannot get either of them to stripe......

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
FatherandSon. what's your cutting height? it should be somewhere around 3.5" for some good stripes. Plenty of guys around here run SCAG's and they're all striping. It also depends on teh grass, broadleaf is generally harder to get to hold the stripe for more than a couple days.

·
Registered
43 Posts
fatherandson: I would recommend doing what bsdeality said as far as raising your cutting height. Then check and see if the grass is laying over in your tire path. If it is not, then a striping attachment won't help. Nothing beats the weight of the entire mower to lay over grass.
If you have tire "stripes", then you can be confident that an attachment will fill in the gap, giving you full width.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It looks like you answered my response while I was typing it. Some grasses will not lay over. I suggest taking a close look at the neighbors grass, and comparing it with the type you are mowing. Your grass most likely has a broader blade.
A mower deck should not lay grass over. It should "lift" and cut. If your Scag doesn't stripe without an attachment, it is doing it's job properly.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Father&Son, I posted a review on the Turflex a few weeks ago. It works very well on my Toro. But like the others have said, it really depends on the grass type and length of cut. The unit itself is VERY heavy duty and I promise you - it won't bend up like the roller you tried.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.