1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Turn Them In

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Scraper, Apr 3, 2002.

  1. Scraper

    Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,656

    If anyone from my area of PA reads this...please note that I will be turning in license plate numbers of anyone without proper BU number identification that I see applying pesticides. That includes the "Preen" in the beds as well as the "innocent" spraying of Round-Up too. I have been asked by the PDA in renewing my licensing to do so and as a responsible licensed and registered applicator I will do so. I have spent the time and $$$ to obtain the proper licensing and I'll be damned if Joe Blow is going to do it without!

    Just last night I had a gentleman call me to come out to do an estimate. As the conversation ensued I discovered I was one of five who would be coming out. (This was due to workers comp claim and insurance is paying for lawn service). I pointed out to him to be sure that if any of the others provided an estimate for "fertilizing" that he be sure that they are licensed and certified by the State. You know what he said to me? "Wow! I never realized that was necessary. Thank-you for pointing that out to me." Even if I don't get the bid, I will feel better that I at least educated someone to our business.
  2. 1MajorTom

    1MajorTom Former Moderator
    Messages: 6,073

    We totally agree.

    We already got our eyes open about this. If we have to be licensed, then so should anyone else applying.
    And you're right. The customer has no clue that it takes testing to become licensed to apply. When we tell people that, they look in disbelief.
  3. Ric

    Ric LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,969

    Take a picture it is worth a thousand words.
  4. Pacific Nursery

    Pacific Nursery LawnSite Member
    Messages: 114

    Probably an old, beat to death point . . .
    If we need a Lic to apply shouldn't you have a Lic to buy?
  5. HBFOXJr

    HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,712

    In NJ you have to have a license if your purchasing from a pesticide dealer (AKA Lesco or other favorite). If you go to a retail establishment as in a garden center, hdwr store or WalMart, nobody knows nothing and then there is NO control. You pays your money and gets your stuff.

    Some s**t, huh?
  6. tpl

    tpl LawnSite Member
    Messages: 67

    i agree also.... There is just one thing, I sometimes will go out on a service call and will be in my personal car. Or maybe someone else will be in the company truck and I'll be out spraying lawns that day in my car. Does that mean if you pass by me I will be getting flak from the agriculture dept. I am chartered. Spent a couple of weeks studying a two inch book to take three tests in which to get liscensed and chartered. Have three different insurances and I pay and additional $250.00 a year to the ag dept. As long as I have my liscense in my wallet, I can spray whenever and wherever I want. Maybe the laws are different in PA. After all that is said, you will still probably take my liscense plate down if I happend to live in your area. I've paid my dues.

    Just allowing you to see another side of things....with me being on your side.
  7. vegomatic40

    vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6
    Messages: 406

    State of TN still requires a company vehicle to show some sort of logo with phone# and 2" high letters with charter # (Even when doing just service calls.) Wade through the red tape and you will find the answers. Avoid talking with certain people at the state...they know less about the regs than we do.
  8. jwalker

    jwalker LawnSite Member
    Messages: 16


    Are you in TN? And if you are, where do we report violators?

    I never knew where to report them to.

  9. HBFOXJr

    HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,712

    NJ Law requires vehicle ID, 3" block letters stating Pesticide Lic with #.

    Magnetic signs can keep you legal at low cost for those days with vehicle change.
  10. thelawnguy

    thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,411

    Charity begins at home. Here's a start:

    Go to http://xxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx/ (if you can; have pen in hand at the ready as the browser window will close after 30 seconds) he appears to be close to you and there is no BU number listed (I believe it is required in all advertising).

    If you are going to apply pesticides there should be no excuse for not having a license, esp since the PA (and other states including mine, CT) test is open book and even during the oral exam the administrators coach you so that anyone with an IQ over 73 should pass without difficulty.

    from Lanelle--
    Hold on------
    First, Different states have various requirements regarding advertising, so don't cast any stones yet.
    Second, as far as I know, I can advertise a service that I sub out to a qualified contractor.
    Third, I see no reason to single out a member in good standing who is not advertising here, who is not violating any laws and who is not encouraging others to violate the regulations either.
    Your point regarding compliance is a good one but jumping to conclusions won't serve anyone.

Share This Page