Turnaround on fliers

GarrettLawnCare

LawnSite Member
Hey guys, just wondering on about how long it takes for people to start calling when you put out fliers.

I put out 3K this week, and have another 4K on the way.

Did some searching on the forum and came back with widely varying results on % of callbacks. So i'm prepared for all of that possibility. And i know the fliers can sit for months or more before someone calls.

I'm just curious about the main bulk of the calls i'll get and how long that usually takes.

I started putting fliers out on Tuesday and finished up Thursday.

Edit: One other question, how much is too much to put out fliers in the same area? I have a nice exurb near me with 40k people that i really want to focus on long term. What kind of frequency are you guys putting out fliers?

Green Industry Pro

LawnSite Senior Member
I don't have success with flyers. Several thousand have gotten me 10 or so calls and three or so clients. I'm focusing on cold calling, advertising online, things like that. Much higher return and much less cost.

J.R. and Sons Services

LawnSite Senior Member
I have never had luck with flyers either. In my opinion, this is 80's and 90's advertising. Most people just toss flyers in the trash. Your best option for advertising is word of mouth and social media.

Get a core group of customers by telling your friends and family. Take care of your customers, show up, communicate with them, and most importantly, DO A GREAT JOB! People talk and before you know it, you will have more calls, leads, and customers than you can handle without spending a penny for advertising. Best of Luck!

OP
G

GarrettLawnCare

LawnSite Member
My mother runs a maid service and i've told her NOT to tell people im looking for business because im doing fliers on the opposite side of town. Is it common for new guys to cut where ever they are needed and dial their routes down later? If this is the best thing to do, i will for sure be getting the word out to everyone i know.

I agree, word of mouth is a great way to get business. Some do seem to have good luck with flyers, some dont. I may one who isnt going to.. But social media im not getting.

I have a facebook page, sure, i have to for Stripe. But then what? Post pics of yards your cutting, my dog and truck in the sunset? lolol. Comment on other peoples pages to populate that hotlink to my page? Is that pretty much the gist of it? I'm genuinely curious on how that helps.

I'm looking to build a customer base, not run a vanity site. I loath social media, i got in on it early and got off it years ago. BUT, if people need me to drum up some contrive brand over a few month period i guess i can hold my nose and do it.

You say flyers is 80's advertising, id say facebook is 00's advertising. With all due respect.

I have 4K more fliers in the mail. If those don't net some jobs ill be changing up my tactics.

OP
G

GarrettLawnCare

LawnSite Member
I'm guessing you pay for leads as well? Just work hard and do people right, the jobs will come. Good Luck!
Hang on there, this discussion is just getting started! :D Of course i do good work, im the guy who stays way longer than i should at a job. But i have gotten over that quirk in the last few years. But i need jobs to prove i do good work. Momentum, you know.

What about taping business cards to the inside of paper boxes or near the mailbox? Less obnoxious and less like litter. Has anyone had any luck with that? They are MUCH cheaper than fliers and much more classy. I really like the looks of my cards as well.