Turnaround on fliers

OP
G

GarrettLawnCare

LawnSite Member
And you paid postage too? I got a pretty good customer base. Not just Fakebook either! Not one of my jobs are from a flier... Or should I say litter?
I worded that wrong, the 4K fliers have been shipped and are on the way. I'll put them out in my car. So far for me it seems like putting these in paper boxes isnt doing much. I might keep these for going door to door.

This coming monday should give me all the feedback im going to get from the ones i put out. We are opening back up from the Rona this week and the weather is getting warmer.

J.R. and Sons Services

LawnSite Senior Member
I worded that wrong, the 4K fliers have been shipped and are on the way. I'll put them out in my car. So far for me it seems like putting these in paper boxes isnt doing much. I might keep these for going door to door.

This coming monday should give me all the feedback im going to get from the ones i put out. We are opening back up from the Rona this week and the weather is getting warmer.
You guys are just now allowed to work? Or you are just starting your season Monday? Another idea, put some stacks of fliers in your local gas stations, party stores etc..

OP
G

GarrettLawnCare

LawnSite Member
Lawn care has been up and going, but many people start back to work next week so there will be less free time to mow.

Talked to the lady next door, shes been involved in a few businesses. Like you, she recommended friending up with friends and family on facespace and putting up a few pics.

As of today i've got permission to put a yard sign at the very front of a fairly high end neighborhood in exchange for a weekly mowing and another property i do. Yard signs don't last put up on the main roads around here.

grass man 11

LawnSite Senior Member
Hang on there, this discussion is just getting started! :D Of course i do good work, im the guy who stays way longer than i should at a job. But i have gotten over that quirk in the last few years. But i need jobs to prove i do good work. Momentum, you know.

What about taping business cards to the inside of paper boxes or near the mailbox? Less obnoxious and less like litter. Has anyone had any luck with that? They are MUCH cheaper than fliers and much more classy. I really like the looks of my cards as well.
your not allowed to attach or place anything on or in a mail box, you can Get fined for it.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Senior Member
My mother runs a maid service and i've told her NOT to tell people im looking for business because im doing fliers on the opposite side of town. Is it common for new guys to cut where ever they are needed and dial their routes down later? If this is the best thing to do, i will for sure be getting the word out to everyone i know.

I agree, word of mouth is a great way to get business. Some do seem to have good luck with flyers, some dont. I may one who isnt going to.. But social media im not getting.

I have a facebook page, sure, i have to for Stripe. But then what? Post pics of yards your cutting, my dog and truck in the sunset? lolol. Comment on other peoples pages to populate that hotlink to my page? Is that pretty much the gist of it? I'm genuinely curious on how that helps.

I'm looking to build a customer base, not run a vanity site. I loath social media, i got in on it early and got off it years ago. BUT, if people need me to drum up some contrive brand over a few month period i guess i can hold my nose and do it.

You say flyers is 80's advertising, id say facebook is 00's advertising. With all due respect.

I have 4K more fliers in the mail. If those don't net some jobs ill be changing up my tactics.
Good luck keeping up with the folks that underatand the importance and know how to use SEO and technology. If you have been around a long rime and have an established customer base, it may not be as important. But starting out and getting that base built needs to be a different mindset.

OP
G

GarrettLawnCare

LawnSite Member
My take on SEO and websites is, people build their base with or without it. I have zero use for a website offering mow blow and go's.

SEO and a websites are great for the guys that are already established in their area and that offer several services. I'm simply not there. It does a great job of cutting off at the pass much of the competition when the customer can get you on the first page of google. No one goes to page 4 of google results to find a lawn care guy.

As for technology. lol, i don't even know where to start i've forgotten so much about it. My goal is less of that instead of more. Its been a net drain on my life for sure.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Senior Member
My take on SEO and websites is, people build their base with or without it. I have zero use for a website offering mow blow and go's.

SEO and a websites are great for the guys that are already established in their area and that offer several services. I'm simply not there. It does a great job of cutting off at the pass much of the competition when the customer can get you on the first page of google. No one goes to page 4 of google results to find a lawn care guy.

As for technology. lol, i don't even know where to start i've forgotten so much about it. My goal is less of that instead of more. Its been a net drain on my life for sure.
I think youve got it backwards. I get flyers for any kind of work and it goes in the trash. I post pics of jobs I've done and yards I mow. SEO and Google has changed over the last couple years. How do you expect to get leads when the first thing people do is google for a service provider in their area? Just my take on it. Keep buying flyers and spending money on advertising with low rates of return and ignore the free options at your own peril.