Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lawn that is about mainly crab grass. Planning to put down pre-emergent beginning of next year and overseed. Is there any way to get this procedure started successfully before next year?
Thanks for anyhelp!
Austin

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for nthe advice. Do I absolutely have to slice seed. So your saying dont kill off crab grass yet and just areate and overseed? Any fert?

·
Registered
912 Posts
:dancing: kill the crabgrass with round-up than do your renovation work, the compition from the crabgrass will be too much the have favorable results. if you do this now you can still have had enough germination to put pre-m in the spring. good luck

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
round up at label rate.. 2 weeks later round up at label rate.. 2 or more days after that overseed (or slit), and compost topdress 1.8 to 1/4 inch.

Agreed, seed it well this fall to get better crab control.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should I wait between Areation and seeding or what?

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was at this property last night for mowing and the customer says they don't want to plant to early because if it gets hopt they'll have to water alot! I was like wtf you'll have to water anyways.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
In our area seeding after the middle of Sept. is risky. It may come up but may not survive the winter. If the ground freezes in Oct then no snow to speak of for the duration - seedlings just die.
Then again the grass may be green till almost Thanksgiving with lots of rain.
How does Kansas compare?

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Usually don't freeze till real late Oct. or middle of Dec. Hope it works out well.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do I need to cut the grass low before I do this. I'll be doing it next weekend

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
This week I hope to do some overseeding and my strategy is to broadcast the seed, spread some compost over them, and mow the clippings over the top of that. [At the normal 4" height]
I believe the longer grass helps out as a 'cover crop', but you will get differing opinions on that.

In a couple of weeks I will be mowing up the pine needles from that lawn and will start cutting it shorter with the last couple mowings of the season. Supposedly shorter grass will overwinter better, than long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.