1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Two Axles or One?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grasssin, Feb 20, 2004.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

I am about to get a 6x12 trailer, although I dont need all the space right now I know I will "grow" into it. So my question is should I get a single axle or a doulble axle trailer? Is it worth the extra $350 dollars for it?

Right now I am also going to have a Exmark 48" turf tracer and 21" Toro on there. Eventually will get a Z to go along with the turf tracer. The only other uses I will use it for is to haul around my 4 wheelers... Thanks for the help

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

single with brakes.

3. JB1

JB1 LawnSite Fanatic

get the double axle, for the extra weight later and I personally think a two axle trailer pulls a lot smoother.

4. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Double axles definately. Not only do they carry a load better they are a lot easier to back up.

5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

And go through tires a LOT faster. I have a 6.5' x 12' single axle and love it. Backs up fine.

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Can you maneuver a (empty) tandem axle trailer by hand? i can with my single. tires last forever, lighter weight, pulls great, holds as much as i can fit on the trailer without overloading it. Hauls 3-3.5 yds of mulch (1' sideboards) heaped up on it no problem. Only thing I would change about mine if the same size is put brakes on it.

7. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, actually I can but why would I want to. Thats what my 4 wheeler is for.:D

8. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Double axle with out a doubt. Your gonna think I'm crazy but if you plan to expand or go full time and if your truck will pull it go for even a bigger trailer then the 12 foot! You will never regret having a bigger trailer.

9. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

As usual everyone is split down the middle on the issue

:)

Keep the comments coming,

10. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

Double axles will be more stable with a load & will pull much smoother.