TWO Blades on each Spindle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jim Snyder, Aug 4, 2000.

1. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

You can learn new tricks from an old DOG. :)

2. kutnkev

kutnkev LawnSite Member

Eric,
    will two blades work on a lesko /toro push mower or a 32 lesco?

3. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone using the 2-blade system on the Exmark 36 yet? I've got the Turf Tracer HP and am just about ready to take the plunge. I'm looking for suggestions on the best setup... ;)

-TGC

4. Eric ELM

I would think this would work on any mower that has just one bolt hole in the blade and no blade bracket that is attached to the spindle. Just make sure you have plenty of threads to screw in the spindle hole and the extra blades you use have the same size hole that the bolt has. Be safe when trying this. We don't want anyone hurt. I can't really tell you for sure Kevin, without seeing this mower. The only mowers I have are 2 Dixie Choppers and a 60" JD and a 21" JD push mower.

5. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Eric, do you use two blades on your 21" push mower, too??

-TGC

6. Eric ELM

No, I don't use double blades on the push mower. It is bolted with 2 bolts. I don't use it much anyway, just around swimming pools and a couple small fenced in back yards with tiny gates, but it mulches the grass pretty good without.

7. Eric ELM

Just torque them down like a normal blade. If you have a mower that has to have the blades timed, it may not work, otherwise you don't have to worry about the blades hitting each other.

8. Eric ELM

I have been getting a lot of Email about double blades asking will this work on my mower too. It should work on any brand that doesn't have a saddle type blade holder built into the spindle or a mower that has the blades timed so they don't hit each other. Just use a longer bolt if you have less than an inch of threads going into the spindle and make sure it is a hardened bolt equivalant to what you already have. After putting them on, turn them by hand to make sure the blades will not hit anything, torque them down like you would any normal blade and give them a try. The top blade doesn't need to be new or that sharp. Good luck and be safe.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to open a can of worms on you about the cradle issue ERIC! I just removed my cradles from my Gravely Pro 300 and took them down the road to my friend, a machinest. After doing some measuring, level checking on the mill, and so forth, we found something that could be done. We're cutting out a cross section of the bottom of the cradle to hold a second blade. I'm not sure yet EXACTLY how much he's taking off, but he has a few of my older blades down there with the cradles. The trick is to make sure the groove is centered to the center of the spindle hole. Because the cradles themselves were off lengthwise by a few thousandths (which doesn't really matter anyway for just the one blade) That's just how they were stamped. I'll let you know how it works.

10. Eric ELM

Good idea. I have never had a mower that had a cradle, so I wasn't sure how they were attached. Someone mentioned that they were part of the spindle on one brand of mower, but I guess the cradle could be ground down on those mowers too. My John Deere has a 3/4" diameter chamfer sticking down the thickness of a blade with a 5/8" bolt holding it. When I used it to mow, I used a blade with a 5/8" hole on the bottom to double blade it and the stock 3/4" holed JD blade on top. There is a way to do about anything if you try hard enough. :)