Lawn Care Forum banner

TWO Blades on each Spindle

19K views 90 replies 51 participants last post by  yardguy28 
#1 ·
I noticed someone mentioned using 2 blades on each spindle and it was questioned how do you do that by a new member. I have written an article on my website on page 7 called Double Blades that you are welcome to go read with a comparison picture taken in the spring when grass grows fast and thick. I've been using this method for 12 of the past 15 seasons, so it is field tested. I looked for the old post on this, but I couldn't even find it. If anyone is interested, go read it. My website has other information and is mainly for the guys here at Lawnsite, I don't use it for gaining business. We have all the work we can do. If interested, click on my signiture below.

[Edited by Eric ELM on 08-05-2000 at 03:00 AM]

#3 ·
Welcome aboard Tony. The last discussion on this subject that I couldn't find had about 60 posts. Maybe all the other new guys have heard of this or found the discussion I can't find. :)

[Edited by Eric ELM on 08-05-2000 at 03:27 AM]

#5 ·
It looks as though your post has disappeared, more than likely because you used the two finger typing method. (Ha Ha) anyways, for anyone still looking into this subject, I have tried using two blades on each spindle, and I swear it gives the best cut i've seen. My system is mounted on a 2000 Bobcat ZTR2200 61" with a 25Hp. Kolher. If anyone is familar with this machine the Factory blades are set up with an offset of about 3/4" with a slight bend in the blade to the tip's(also a highlift type blade). Because of this I used a Gator blade on the bottom and the offset blade on top. The offset high lift blades still make the lower cut eventhough it's on top the position.

Great Idea ERIC. !!!!

I've told my freinds in the industry about this and they just shake their heads. I think everyone is afraid that the blades are going to come flying off (ya right)or that spindle life will be compromised. I actually think your spindle life will improve, because the radial loads are more balenced with the blade tips at 90 degrees rather than at 180 to each other.

anyone else????

----------
Jim White

#6 ·
I plan to implement the two blade system by Spring growth, possibly sooner. I think it's brilliant in it's simplicity, and kudos to Eric for the discovery. Right now, it's not a pressing concern since we're heavy into our dry season out here, but I'm looking forward to giving it a try...

-TGC

#7 ·
Eric, What a great Idea! It reminds me of 2 other blades on the market, the Piranah by John Deere, and the Ninja by Snapper. I have been having trouble with clumps in the discharge of my new 48' Snapper hydro w 17 hp Kaw. My dealer sold me two sets of Steins High lift blades which have titanium edges (awesome edges!!!) I will try the double blades per your article on your web site (nice site!!!) Do you recommend using the standard blade, the high lift or a combination? What are your thoughts? Anyone else out there?

Thanks, Jim

#8 ·
I have tried 2 sets of regular blades, high lift and Gators, 2 sets of high lifts, 2 sets of Gators, Gators on top, Gators on the bottom. Just try different combos. Just use what you have before going out and buying special blades. I run a high lift on top and a Gator on the bottom. The reason I do this is, I think Gators are easier to sharpen and the top blades don't need to be sharpened each time. They just chop clippings and the bottom one does the cutting. The Gators don't slow down the RPM's as much. 2 highlifts will slow them down more. See what works for you

[Edited by Eric ELM on 08-05-2000 at 03:28 AM]

#9 ·
Eric....What keeps the two blades in a + formation?? Do you use washers in between the two blades? What happens if you hit something out in the field? Do you have to go home and re-adjust? Is the top balde the same size as the bottom or is it smaller? Sorry all the questions, just curious!!

#10 ·
Cutter1: I don't put anything between the blades on the old Chopper. I just put the blades in a + formation and torque them down like I would one blade and I use both blades the same size. You can use an older worn out blade on top, because it just chops the clippings. If you hit something solid, a blade will move, but I just pull over to the trailer and loosen the bolt, adjust them, and retighten the bolt. The new Chopper I got, I got a set of brackets that keep them in a + formation. They threw the brackets in on the deal, so I took them, but I don't think they are that necessary. It was last year when we had to adjust the blades last, after hitting a rake that the home owner had left in the tall grass and I didn't see it. OOOOpps :)

#11 ·
Eric I wrote atout this 2 days ago. I went out last evening and did 6 yards while doubling up 2 high lift blades on each spindle... I was in bliss!!! it worked very well. When I was done I took a peek under the deck and the blades were still in the + formation. There was a bit of drag or lag due to a total of 6 high lift blades on my 48' snapper hydro. I think I will try a high lift and a standard.

I have 1 yard on a hill in a nice $300k neighborhood that they planted some sort of annual Rye grass in the back yard that is ALWAYS 5-6" tall. THe owner dosen't care what the back looks like. I usually have chuncks/ clumps that just roll out of the side chute like a hay bailer... NOT THIS TIME!!! I was thinking of the photo on your web site showing your lawn next to the competitions. There was a 3' clowd outside the chute!!! The double blading cut it down to 1/4" clippings that layed down nice. No more hay bailing!!! The stripes were also a higher contrast (lighter and darker)

I'v been doing this for about 9 years now... I was very excited to learn something new!!

Thanks

Jim

#12 ·
If you have a set of Gators, try putting one of them on with a high lift. It will have less air drag because of the slots in the Gators. Two regualar lift blades will be a lot less too, so you won't loose so much RPM's. :)

I've been in this business for 15 years and I'm still learning things from this forum. I'll have to see if I can find some other hot topics for you newer members. I'm glad to hear that you have already benefited from Lawnsite.

#13 ·
Hey Eric, I use double blades as well and itdoes work great! I prefer to run a 2 level low lift mulching blade on top of a high lift Dixie Chopper blade. I run this combo on a Lazer EPS 60". One question I would like to ask you, is do or did you use longer spindle bolts to make up for the 1/4" loss? I think this is a good idea, since on the Exmark for instance, the is only about 3/8" of an inch thread penetration into the spindle. This could really stress those threads when torquing. If anyone else has changed bolts, please respond as well. Thanks!

#14 ·
I would use as long of a bolt as possible. On my machines, I have at least an inch and 1/4 of thread to screw in. Don't be doing this if you don't feel it's safe. You must not of had to much thread to start with if you only have 3/8" now. Be Safe guys. :)

#15 ·
Well I have to throw in my $.02. Thanks Eric! I don't know when this particular thread started but I didn't have time to check here anyway. I'm in central NJ and Mother Nature thought it was April again & dumped 9" of rain during the past 10 days. Needless to say the grass started growing way too fast and I was getting tired of double & triple cutting all of the lawns.:( I remembered this idea & figured now was the time to try it. Wow. I put 2 sets of gators on both mowers and we were finally able to single & double cut some of the jungles. Grass has grown anywhere from 5" -8" in one week and it was getting to be a real pain. I even took a mower into a commercial drain basin that I couldn't get into for 3 weeks. I wouldn't have ever even considered before using the double blades for a day. Knocked down 12" - 14" of grass & weeds in 2 passes. I'm definitely amazed at this idea. I'm also glad that I read the post about using longer bolts because I didn't figure that one out, and I'll be buying a new set of bolts tomorrow. Thanks Eric & others! :)

#17 ·
Has anybody tried double blades on a toro mower yet? what do you do with the blade craddle and do you need a longer bolt? Now that my lawns are gowing an inch a day double blades would be great right about now to reduce all those clippings. Between the super flow deck and double blades the clippings would probly disperce 25 ft. Lanws that i cut thursday already could use cutting again... this is crazy! Nutsedge is growing about 2 inches a day and crabgrass is juicier than ever! help!

#24 ·
I would think this would work on any mower that has just one bolt hole in the blade and no blade bracket that is attached to the spindle. Just make sure you have plenty of threads to screw in the spindle hole and the extra blades you use have the same size hole that the bolt has. Be safe when trying this. We don't want anyone hurt. I can't really tell you for sure Kevin, without seeing this mower. The only mowers I have are 2 Dixie Choppers and a 60" JD and a 21" JD push mower.

#26 ·
No, I don't use double blades on the push mower. It is bolted with 2 bolts. I don't use it much anyway, just around swimming pools and a couple small fenced in back yards with tiny gates, but it mulches the grass pretty good without.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.