Two Ferris options +/-$500

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by FLStateOX, Aug 10, 2019.

1. FLStateOX

FLStateOX LawnSite Member

I'll try not to be redundant, since I asked a more detailed engine performance inquiry elsewhere (where I may or may not get a reply).

Basically I've narrowed my search to Ferris for their suspension. I already don't want to mow my own lawn, so being comfortable doing it is more important to me than the cut quality. I have a 12 acre property, with a couple of acres that I like to have mowed. It's flatish, and bumpy. My schedule is irregular, and we get pretty saturated with rain in the summer months, so there are times when the grass gets high.

I've gotten quotes of $7500 for a Ferris ISX800 with a Kawasaki FT730 EFI and standard seat, or just under $8,000 for an ISX800 with a Vanguard 810 (carb) and suspension seat.

The suspension seat is appealing, but I can also buy the stopgap kit on Amazon for under $200. As a homeowner, I plan to keep it longer in years rather than higher in hours, so the motor continuing to run 15 years from now is more important to me than the annual fuel costs. With that in mind, who would go EFI Kawi, and who would pay the premium for the Vanguard? Again, I'm asking here from the homeowner perspective, so long term reliability, serviceability, and maintenance costs are more important to me than fuel costs.

I'm happy to hear suggestions on other mowers, but they have to be under my $8k hard limit, have excellent ride/shock mitigation, and ZT3200s or better.

2. ggb6259

ggb6259 LawnSite Member

The ISX800 with the Vanguard and the newest suspension is where I would be spending based on what you have above. You get suspension x2 and you get the latest that Ferris has to offer. An alternative would be and IS-700 with the suspension seat. You still get the mower with proven suspension plus the seat. For home owner both are overkill for a couple of acres imho. ZT3200 or ZT34000 are very similar in performance. I personnaly love the briggs on my 600Z and the Kaw and Vanguard booth have the clean air systems that are there for extending motor life. I have a bud with a Kaw and he swears it runs quieter but I cant tell. I wear ear muffs or wireless noise canceling bluetooth bluetooth earmuffs when mowing so its a non issue either way. I've seen the 700s with 61" decks in the $6700 range and they will drop when leaf season arrives. Im guessing you were looking at 61" decks.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    FLStateOX

Good to hear I'm on the right track. Unfortunately my lawn guy flaked out on me and I can't wait for prices to change (if they change here, no leaves dropping in FL).

4. Tim M

Tim M LawnSite Member

FLstateox. Sent you a PM on the dealer.

5. OP
    OP
    FLStateOX

Just an update for anyone who might come across this. I was leaning towards the Vanguard for the torque (on paper) and the suspension seat that came with that configuration. My local dealer agreed that it was the right engine choice for my needs. After I'd already placed the order, I got a PM from a high volume dealer who strongly recommended the EFI Kawasaki over the Vanguard for real world performance, in addition to fuel savings. He didn't specifically mention longevity, so I don't know if he'd feel the same way about a machine that's going to still need service in 15-20 years. So far I've been completely satisfied with the power, but it does seem to be pretty thirsty. Luckily I've got quite a bit of unused hurricane gas on hand at the moment.

6. ggb6259

ggb6259 LawnSite Member

So which mower did you opt for ? Dont really need one righ now but I'm dying to try ISX....

7. OP
    OP
    FLStateOX

I got the ISX800 with the Vanguard and the suspension seat. I don't have any real experience with other zero turns, but the ride is outstanding, and I'm completely satisfied with the cut.

Tim M likes this.
  8. ggb6259

ggb6259 LawnSite Member

That mower will last you a very very long time. My Ferris will out last me no doubt. Just do maintenance as required an give it a bath twice a year.. bath is not about getting clean as much as it is about putting your eyes and hands all the fasteners and moving parts. Something that I learned from motorcycles and snowmobiles.

FLStateOX likes this.