Two pumps, One well-point

Discussion in 'Irrigation Pumps & Supplies' started by Joseph Turner, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Joseph Turner

Joseph Turner LawnSite Member

I currently have a shallow well (22'). My well pump is feed by two 1.25" well points connected at a "T". I want to install an irrigation system with an irrigation pump. My current pump just doesn't have the power needed for irrigation, but it is good for general watering.

So, I want to tap into my current well at some point. There would be two pumps on the well points, but they would not be run simultaneously.

I'm thinking I tap in just above the "T" from the two well points, but where would I locate the check valves to make sure one pump doesn't remove the priming water from the second pump.

Or, am I just going the the completely wrong direction?

2. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

Interesting that they had to do to Wellpoints

Generally speaking with wells and pumps you really don’t want a customized set up. A standardized method will help everyone in the long run

I actually can’t picture what you are proposing .

What is your current flow output and pressure ? You might be surprised how a properly designed system can handle low flow and low pressure wells . You might be able to install a system with no extra pumps or major system
    Setups .

One common method

1 ). The well pump , pumps water into a
    Holding tank . For residential I typically see a 500-2000 gallon holding tank . From there a second centrifugal pump typically 1-2 horsepower takes water out of here and supplies the irrigation system

3. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

If you plan to add a larger pump, why not discontinue using your current pump altogether?

4. kellanv

kellanv LawnSite Bronze Member

We do quite a few well systems on big properties. I would personally go with a storage tank with a float. Fill line fills the cistern, then a centrifugal pump feeds the irrigation lines. We just installed a 30k gal tank with a 7.5 HP SPD for a house we are working on.

1idejim and mitchgo like this.
  5. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

Damn!

6. kellanv

kellanv LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a nice project! Our wells are pretty deep (840 feet) and even with a 5HP pump this one might get up to 22 gpm open flow. Coupled with watering restrictions, an acre worth of rotors and a bunch of drip, we would pretty much be watering 24/7 in August if we were well pump only. Plus it's a lot better for the root systems to water more deeply less often.

mitchgo likes this.