1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Typical Backflow set-up

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JackHarding, Nov 21, 2017.

1. JackHarding

JackHarding LawnSite Member
    Male, from Meriden, CT

Curious to see how other people install backflow devices. Typically in CT I see 825Y or 765 (city water) and well properties vary wildly. The two photos below are from my installs; first being city water and the second being well (submersible pump).
    Riverhead well set up.jpg Riverhead city set up.jpg

2. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Do you remove your backflows for the winter? Looks like you have unions on both sides of the backflow. We install similarly, but different brands. We usually do a boiler drain on both sides of the backflow, usually start the blowout on the discharge side while opening the boiler drain on the pressure side to drain, then when I get to the last zone I'll switch to the other boiler drain to clear the backflow.

3. Srlance31

Srlance31 LawnSite Senior Member

Like the boiler drains and the unions. It does look pretty well down overall. Can't see the inside (obviously) but usually have a low point drain inside home to drain the backflow out and prevent water from going past the shut off valves and outside. And have a blow out port after the backflow.

benhargreaves likes this.
  4. JackHarding

Male, from Meriden, CT

yes, I remove the backflows. The unions in the pictures have small rubber gaskets that create the water tight joint. When I winterize I remove the unit, hook up a tail piece (1/2 of the union assembly) with the piece left on the riser, then winterize. The backflows go inside the home with the rubber gaskets, otherwise they tend to get lost. I'll post 2 photos in a moment.

5. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

We remove maybe a couple dozen exterior irrigation meters but not backflows. Seems like it'd be a pain in the butt come spring, I know locating and reinstalling those meters sure is.

Love the Green Biz likes this.
  6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I do mine just like yours, but without unions.

Mdirrigation likes this.
  7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

" sorry Magna , I remembered you were coming today but forgot to leave the BF out for you"

8. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I can think of at least a few instances where the meter was missing come spring.

9. JackHarding

Male, from Meriden, CT

It definitely adds to the overall time spent at a home, but with the gaskets its not bad to re-install. They unions don't need to be super tight to work. Anyway here's an example of how it works. Generally I use pvc caps for the union ends, one size larger than the pipe. 20171027_100122.jpg 20171027_101238.jpg

10. Srlance31

Srlance31 LawnSite Senior Member

To me the unions make repairs so much easier.