1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Typical Backflow set-up

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JackHarding, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Got a link? I never read anything so specific back when I was looking into it. Mind you, I like the idea, since a lot of lead-containing backflow preventers might be had for cheap from suppliers who believe them otherwise unsaleable.

2. Srlance31

Srlance31 LawnSite Senior Member

This individual was the head of the local water department. Mind you, this was a township and they bought the water from the city and per the city code enforcer, the township was wrong. My plumber who was hired also said the township was wrong. But again, when he's inspecting, it's his way.

The codes I have read do not specify irrigation namely, but Non-potable water backflows are exempt from being lead-free. What you will notice though is that backflow ball valves (least the ones I've seen) are lead free.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I think the wording of the law refers to the incoming water to the BP, which effectively cuts off industry use to protect potable water supplies. There might be some niche for a water supply not certified as potable, for which backflow protection is still desired.

At any rate, I see no possibility for manufacturers to now produce anything but the lead-free devices, simply because they con't want to complicate their inventorying.

Srlance31 likes this.
  4. Srlance31

Srlance31 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. I don't see the price increase dramatically enough anyways. Plus, in Michigan, we love our lead (tips hat to Flint).

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Feds and states can differ on many issues. Marijuana usage and selling it is federally illegal, but our state of Colorado has made it legal for medical and recreational sale. Again, the two agencies cannot agree, and if the feds don't enforce it, then it is on the state to make their own judgement. The codes differ from region to region. Some areas allow double checks below ground in a box, Colorado Springs does not allow a DC.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

No double check here either. Pbnj when height is correct or rpz

Srlance31 likes this.
  7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly, putting on unions would take longer then the replacement

8. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

A peanut butter and jelly sandwich and double check's are a no-no around here.

Love the Green Biz likes this.
  9. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Bronze Member

I read it when the regs first came out. This is printout from NIBCO FAQs:
    Lead-Free FAQ's
    Here you'll find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions; check back often as we'll make updates as new questions arise.

Where do I find product compliance documentation?

Please reference www.nibcoleadfree.com and select the specific lead-free product. Documentation is
    located under the “certifications” tab.

Are there any exceptions to the law?

The new standard does not apply to pipes, pipe fittings, plumbing fittings or fixtures that are used exclusively for non-potable services such as manufacturing, industrial processing, irrigation, outdoor watering, or any other uses where water is not anticipated to be used for human consumption. The law also specifically excludes toilets, bidets, urinals, fill valves, flushometer valves, tub fillers, shower valves, service saddles, or water distribution main gate valves that are 2 inches in diameter or larger.

The law allows any jurisdiction to impose more stringent regulations that override the exemptions. I would check with the local authorities.

Remember that for a local inspector to tell you they won't approve a leaded PVB it must be backed up with an actual law or ordinance. They can't just "wing it" because they don't know the details.

10. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Bronze Member

True-there is a hodge-podge of regs from one jurisdiction to the next. Allows check first.